Rheostat Blower Fan Speed Control replacement-Quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wnc_burner

Sep 11, 2015
wnc
background info: i installed a Quadrafire 7100 FP in our house a few years back. Fantastic fireplace!! Our house is a quad-level and we've always had to run space heaters in our downstairs kids rooms to keep them cozy. But just this year I took on the hassle of installing some Zone Heating. After some research I opted not to buy Quadrafire's Heat Zone Kit and I sourced my own materials . After our first month of really cold weather our electric bill is down 30%. So happy with the Quadrafire and it's capability of moving warm air to other rooms.

So....

I goofed up and shorted out my rheostat that controlled the blower fans inside my 7100 unit. i was pulling out the fans to clean them and some of the wiring insulators became brittle and broke and it sparked/shorted out and ever since my rheostat speed control only runs on high,

I wasn't using the OEM Quadrafire rheostat setup but instead used a speed control is similar to this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SPwEVt6OL._SX342_.jpg

i was never crazy about it because it's hideous, and also because of it's heat-sink it wouldn't fit into my electric box with the other switches.

what are my options for a rheostats that will fit into a two-gang electric box? and why is every rheostat/speed control so ugly and awkward?

the two fans are only pulling 1.3 amps a piece:
http://www.myfireplaceblower.com/fi...-blower-fan/?gclid=CPOX0Mebu8oCFcETHwodq_8Oqw

D9IY9kK.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.