Rheostat for Jotul C450 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

op_man1

Hearth Supporter
Mar 11, 2009
Eastern Ontario
I recently got a Jotul C450 and have found that it would be nice if the 2 speed blower could be controlled with a rheostat.

I have seen quite a few threads (on this site) on rheostats and the possibility that they could burn out a blower prematurely. In practice, has anyone plugged their insert blower into a rheostat and what has been the result? Any burned out blowers? If anyone has tried this specifically with the Jotul C450 I would especially like to hear from you.

I am thinking of trying out this unit:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-4008

Thanks!

Rheostat on 2 speed blower probably not much of a good idea. Without seeing the wiring schematic for motor, most 2 speed motor have dual contactors for two separate motor coils. I wouldn't think that a fireplace would have any control circuit boards due to high temps associated with equipment. It's probably a simple bimetallic contact thermostat, that turns on high when heater reaches higher temp?. All you'll be doing is lowering supply voltage, inturn slowing motor , but when high temp switch kicks in the speed will increase again. If the controller has a separate control board putting rheostat in feeder line will cause issues with operation as transformers and such are designed to run within nominal voltage ranges. If you could post schematic/pictures of where power feeds I could give you a definite yea/nah.

Here is the schematic:

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood inserts (USA)/Jøtul C 450 Kennebec/Manual_C_450_011005.pdf

When on the low setting, the blower can only go one speed (low) while on Hi it can go two speeds (low or high depending on heat output). I would not mind being able to lower the low speed. Perhaps adjust the Hi speed as well when the unit is hot.

"When on the low setting, the blower can only go one speed (low) while on Hi it can go two speeds (low or high depending on heat output). I would not mind being able to lower the low speed. Perhaps adjust the Hi speed as well when the unit is hot."

Mine is now 4 or 5 years old and the new ones may be different BUT when set on "Low" the fan runs on low, thats it. When set on "High" the fan runs on high, thats it. The speed can be changed at the switch only, it does not change according to temp until the firebox falls below the level at which the snapswitch cuts ALL power to the fan. It will not adjust the fan speed from low to high or high to low according to temp.

That being said, I did experiment with a router speed controller on mine last year. Set it on high and adjust, worked fine. I did not do any long term testing to determine if the motor life would be reduced, I can only expect that it would.

I also contacted Jotul and was told that there were no options and the other inserts (350 & 450) had variable speed units that would not fit in the 450. They were of no help. When I get tired of my 2 choices (high or low) again this winter I'll likely start shopping Grainger for a different motor that can be run on a rheostat without damage (if one exists).

Please keep me posted on your progress as this issue has been my biggest complaint for this unit.

I may be wrong on the fan speed settings - I'll check it out! I will likely try the rheostat and will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.