Rheostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Need to replace existing rheostat with new I bough from jotul dealer. Have heard it’s easy to do. Do the metal ends of wires on rheostat just stick into the plastic ends of the electronics as I can see under my insert as shown? My plan will be to disconnect existing one while paying attention so I can connect new one in reverse order. I’m not super handy, so pardon my lack of technical terminology. Any help would be appreciated.

Rheostat Rheostat

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like you will need a couple of "crimp connectors" (the red & blue things on the ends of the wires). they are not re-useable.
You will need to crimp them onto the ends of the wires for the new rheostat, and then they will plug into the connectors.

MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF FIRST.

looks like you will need a couple of "crimp connectors" (the red & blue things on the ends of the wires). they are not re-useable.
You will need to crimp them onto the ends of the wires for the new rheostat, and then they will plug into the connectors.

MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF FIRST.
Ok, I’ve never done this, but I think I’m following you. Any special tool to “uncrimp” what’s there currently?

I will follow up on this, thanks. It looks like for this moment, I have temporarily fixed the issue. There is a small blue screw/like adjustment on the side of existing rheostat that I was able to adjust using small Phillips head screwdriver (had unplugged insert to do this). Looks like this causes the blowers to be either on high or turned off-nothing in between, which works for me. Thanks again for you help- I learned a bit about electronics tonight!

How old is your stove? Seems like you've not had it long.

Last edited:
2013, had it reinstalled last year.