right stove for square footage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
First post ever to any forum. Please be kind- I know you will; I have been lurking for some time.

I have a 3000 sq ft rancher (1450 up and 1450 down) that I want to heat with wood. It has electric basebord but I don't want them kicking on any more than necessary for obvious reasons. House is fairly tight, judging by how often my A/C has been cycling.

Winters here in western Maryland are not consistently cold; temps tend to vary more than what most of you guys are probably used to, though. That being said, sometimes it'll get into the teens here for weeks and where I'm situated (at foot of mountain) it's breezy, so I want the capacity to heat things up when necessary.

The basement is unfinished but will be finished soon. It will enjoy excellent air movement due to an open floor plan, and I'll be removing the insulation betwen floors to promote cozy toes.

I want a non-cat stove in the basement and plan to cut grates/ registers in the floor to allow air to move to the main floor. So now the question: Which stove to buy? Answer: (I think) Talk me out of the Jotul 600 or 55. My only reservation is firebox size. The 600 comes in at 2.97 whereas a Quad 5700 has 3+ cubic feet.We're talking fractions but before I spend big bucks I want to be as sure as I can reasonably expect to be.

To give you any idea of my thinking, here's my short list:
* Quad 5700 (I was loving the big honking firebox until I read that the Chinese metal may crack)
*Jotul 600 or 55 (are they big enough to heat my space? I'd buy a 600 in a heartbeat if assured that it has the capacity- the sticker at the local showroom only said 2400 sq ft, but the salesman said they're tested in Norway so... )
*Napolean 1900 (haven't seen it but it's a little cheaper than most and I like the specs- educate me here)
*Harman HL 300 (saw this one too. Just worried about wife forgetting to close secondary and melting that sucker down)

Shoud I consider something else? After all my research and lurking, it looks like it's boiling down to firebox size, which was why the Quad got me all fired up until I read about the cracking. So my main question is: are there any stoves I've mentioned that do NOT have the capacity to heat this space? Emphasis on the Jotul. Thanks so much.

Grates and/or vents in the floor are against code in most places. That lets a fire spread from floor to floor. Check with inspector before doing so.

I cant comment on any of the listed stoves. But paying attention to BTU and Sq ft heated ratings are overated. Firebox size is everything.

I will add that Englander makes a 30-NC model that a rated 3.5 Cu Ft firebox and is pretty affordable. I am biased, as I own one... If budget is not an option (Class A will take a chunck out of your wallet :)) then the above listed stoves all have large fireboxs and get good reviews here.

Welcome to the Forums. Someone will be along shortly that owns one of your listed models.

I cannot really comment on the stoves you mentioned although from the firebox sizes they look as they will be able to heat your space (assuming you get the heat moving around). However, another stove to consider would be the Pacific Energy Summit. PE builds really good stoves and the Summit cranks out the heat. Good luck!

Welcome to the forums.... I am sure you will find alot of useful information and alot of people to answer your questions.
There are alot of really nice large stoves out there that will work for you...picking one out is the hard part.

Be sure you have already started getting your wood dry...should have started last year if you are planning to get the stove this year.
I know you should have read this before if you have been lurking here...but its worth saying again.

Welcome to the forums... I agree that you should pretty much disregard any mfg. square foot or BTU ratings as they have no translation to real world performance in most cases.

Another huge factor to consider is how well you insulate that basement. A significant amount heat gets lost to the ground through concrete walls and floors. Not sure of your plans but here are a couple of suggestions...

Framing up 2x4 walls (with a 2" gap between the poured wall and framed wall, treated bottom plate) on the inside of your basement walls and insulate. I would also install one of the following for the floor: 1. One of the dimpled plastic products designed to be rolled out and covered with 3/4" wood subfloor. This will give you an insulating air gap between you and the concrete floor or 2. Follow the link below for an even better insulated floor http://www.ehow.com/how_4907940_insulate-basement-floor.html.

As for stove choices, you have a pretty good short list going. Lopi might be another line to look at.

Don't forget to take lots of pics of the remodel and stove installation and post them here!

My 2 Heritages are located in my office where I am all day to attend to them. That is somewhat different from most people on here. Consider firebox size and more importantly burn times. If you plan on being away, make sure your stove will have usable heat when you return. Most people would probably benefit from a good size cat stove they can choke back when they are away, but with enough firebox that they can quickly crank it up when they return. I know the Blaze King King is a champ in this regard. Holds a ton of wood and can burn a long time. You could probably leave this on medium / low and ramp it up as soon as you get home with no problems. My vote is at least 3 cubic feet. I have 4+ between 2 stoves, but I'm around for most of that time, so I can stoke them continuously throughout the day. If you are looking to primarily heat with wood and leave the house for extended periods for work, consider my opinion. A 2 cubic foot stove only gives 8 - 10 hours max with any usable heat and the real number is probably 5-6 with any real heat in your space.

One more model to MFG to add Drolet - Canadian stove, been some decent reviews on these as well. I do not have one just passing on info. I do have a 30NC, heating 2000sqft. I stoke if full before I leave and am gone some 12 hrs. The house is usually above 60 when I return with enough coals to fire back up. stove is on main floor. As others have indicated unless basement is insulated you will lose most of your heat to the side walls and floor. I have a wood furnace/hog in basement and that is what happens. Codes prevent tying it into duct work unless I want to redo all of that. When it was my only alternative heat source it did cut my fuel bill in half. I do not use it much now with the 30 upstairs. Replacing it with a 25pvd Englander pellet stove this year ( part of another project). CAT type stove are going to be king as far as sustained heat output vs a non-cat unit. Like the pellet units there maintenance issues that need to be addressed on a regular basis to maintain them.

Welcome El Finko. Sounds like you're on the right track with using firebox size (around 3 cf and up for your application) as your major indicator of heat output and burn times. You have some highly loved stoves listed. Consider your budget for the whole project; hearth, chimney, stove and install. A lot of us underestimate the costs outside of the stove itself. Once you've determined your budget, figure out which large unit aesthetically works best for you and your household.

If your on a tight budget it may make sense to look at Englander NC30 or a large Drolet. Budget was the major driving force for me so I found the largest firebox I could fit into my fireplace (I have an insert) for the lowest price with positive reviews. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies folks. Much appreciated. I hear what you all have said about dry wood and insulating the basement well.
Today I bugged out of work for a few hours (stove shops around here all keep bankers' hours) and looked at a few more. I liked that Quad 5700- it looks like I could park my car in there. I also saw the Nap 1900 and the VC Defiant.

The wife has decided that she would much prefer a rear-vented model that does not necessitate punching a hole in the face of our chimney brick (stove is going in front of an existing fireplace- will extend hearth) so this makes things easier.
Can you guys give me your pros and cons on 3+ cu ft fireboxes with rear vents?
I keep going back to the Jotul 600 and/or 55, but the Defiant is a little larger inside, right?
And what's the deal with the two-in-one cat/non-cat on the Defiant? Since we usually have someone home all day I didn't think I needed to go with a cat-style. As long as it'll burn overnight I'm good, and I figured a big enough non-cat would do that.
Are there cheaper stoves that rear vent? Thanks again.

Going back to what Dexter said about an NC30- Does it have reburn/afterburn? I wasn't sure by looking at their website and so didn't include it on my short-list.
I could certainly consider one if they're cheaper and efficient and rear-vent.

A 3,000 sq ft ranch style home is going to be rather tough to heat with one stove, no matter the size. Especially if the stove is in an unfinished basement. You might want to think about a wood furnace or boiler.

Reactions: FyreBug
Going back to what Dexter said about an NC30- Does it have reburn/afterburn? I wasn't sure by looking at their website and so didn't include it on my short-list.

Yes, it is a Secondary burn stove (4 tubes in the top), but it is Top vent only..

A 3,000 sq ft ranch style home is going to be rather tough to heat with one stove, no matter the size. Especially if the stove is in an unfinished basement. You might want to think about a wood furnace or boiler.

I am only heating less than 2,000 sq feet with the upstairs counted. BB is correct. Depending on how well heat flows, when it's 10 outside and blowing wind, one stove may have trouble keeping up. At that point, you would really want a large firebox unless you plan on cat napping and reloading at least once during the middle of the night.

Hearthstone Equinox?

Guys, keep in mind that the basement will be finished and insulated soon, and that is what I am planning for. In the meantime I have baseboard heat to pick up any slack due to loss of heat through basement walls.
Given that, any more thoughts about rear-vent stoves?

See my previous post

You're talking opposites here. The 30NC is top vent only but very affordable. 3 cu ft capacity with rear venting pole vaults you into the expensive category with the cast iron Jotul F600, Quadrafire Isle Royale, VC Defiant 2n1, etc. as the leaders, followed by expensive big rocks like the Mansfield or Progress Hybrid.

Guys, keep in mind that the basement will be finished and insulated soon, and that is what I am planning for. In the meantime I have baseboard heat to pick up any slack due to loss of heat through basement walls.
Given that, any more thoughts about rear-vent stoves?

I said I was insulating my basement last season too.... Never happened.

Not saying that you wont, but its not right now and you never know what kind of curve balls life will throw at you???

Whats the dimensions of the fireplace? Lots of people here have slid a Top vent stove into the fireplace opening and installed a liner that it connects to. No need for a rear vent, if the fireplace is large enough. Joful, BrotherBart, and BrowningBar are just a few that have stoves installed this way...

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies.
I have done some thinking and I think I'll go with a cheaper stove. So 30nc is very appealing, obviously. Is there anything else out there in that ballpark? What does Drolet have?
I check the big box store websites (no stoves in the blue store yet and the orange store here doesn't even get them in for display anymore) and no mention of firebox size. Remember I want 3+ cu ft.
Fireplace is roughly 33H x 38W x 29D. So I think I'd at least have a shot at pushing a 30nc in there. That would hide the flue pipe and make the BossLady happy.
What can you tell me about pushing the stove into the fireplace? I would imagnie it'd be harder to access the blower if needed, but hopefully I won't have to, right? Any major pitfalls to this approach?

Regarding the insulating of the basement, do some reading before planning that project. Here are some good references:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/basement-insulation-part-1
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-insulate-basement-wall
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...usses-basement-insulation-and-vapor-retarders

One thing you will read is that you do NOT want to use fiberglass or any porous batt material up against a concrete basement wall. Doing that would invite damp walls, mold, and that "musty basement" smell.

I do hope you get to the insulation project. You'll find that the woodstove will heat up the basement a lot faster. Bare concrete walls will absorb heat quite readily. Even without heat down there, you will notice that it will feel warmer. I shudder to think of using electric strip heat down there, basically using expensive electric power to heat the ground.

Reactions: johnsgunworks
Status
Not open for further replies.