1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

risks of installing a woodburning insert into zero clearance fireplace

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by maiwalhe, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maiwalhe

maiwalhe New Member

Ok, from an earlier post I have learned that there are some manufacturers who make wood-burning inserts
    for zero clearance fireplaces. Now my new questions is, is installing an approved insert into such a fireplace
    anymore dangerous than installing one into a masonry fireplace? The reason I am asking is this. I called some
    local shops and some of them state that they would never install a wood-burning insert into a zero clearance fireplace,
    even if it is approved by the manufacturer. It really makes me wonder what the reason behind such a statement is.
    Any ideas?

thanks
    -Heiko

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Be interesting to see this one.

I was told by one local dealerthis same thing. So far, no one here seems to balk at what I did. The trick is venting the original fireplace I believe.
  3. kd460

kd460 Feeling the Heat

With today's lawsuit happy attitude I can't imagine a manufacturer designing an insert that would be considered dangerous. One would think extensive testing in worst case situations (hopefully). Failing to install it properly can be an issue, but that is beyond the manufacturer.

I would think a properly installed and maintained insert that is designed to be used in a fully intact and properly operating zero clearance fireplace would be no more dangerous than an insert in a conventional fireplace or a free standing wood stove (or any other heating appliance for that matter).

I think the key is proper aplication, installation and maintenence. KD
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.