River log drive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
I live very close to a good size river where I can get to some good standing dead locust. The issue is getting it out. One option that I am considering is to just float it to the other side of the river , note the water is very calm at this location.

Any one have any experience with a River Log Drive ?

Reactions: albert1029
Is it more work than it's worth? Sometimes I get offers for free wood and when I get there to look at the work involved my response is " No wonder". Just wondering

"Is it more work than it's worth?"

This is always the big question. As for the river option - I would cut logs to about 10 feet easily roll them down a small embankment then line them across 50 feet of water to my truck on a nice easy access flat site right next to the water.

The land option would mean 200 yards + though some lightly wooded area , requiring some clearing.

Maybe a pilot run of the river method is the way to test the water approach.

I have canoed this river many times , maybe there's a little Huck-finn in my blood.

If It's lightly wooded I think I'd wait until there's snow on the ground, cut to a manageable size, and use a sled.

Reactions: Lakeside
Sounds pretty easy so long as you have a way to get the logs out and the far bank is firm, like a boat launch firm. If the riverbed is soft on either side they might get mired in the muck. They also might come out encased in mud which will be detrimental to your chain. (I'm thinking locust, deep furrowed bark, not the best thing to roll in mud).

that is awesome....

Heh -- we live on the bank of a small, (usually) slow-moving river, and there's a minimally-developed, heavily wooded park that extends about a half-mile along the riverfront, a short distance upriver from our place. After blowdowns across the park paths and selective tree removals, I've occasionally seen rounds and short log sections just... sitting... there, right by the river, and have been known to toss them in and then fish 'em out from home a few minutes later. Kinda fun!

Reactions: albert1029
Do you have any pictures of it? Do you have legal right to the wood?

Do you have any pictures of it? Do you have legal right to the wood?

--Uh-Oh: "Pictures?" "Legal right?"

I'll get back to you after calling my lawyer on Monday.

--Uh-Oh: "Pictures?" "Legal right?"

I'll get back to you after calling my lawyer on Monday.
Living near something doesn't indicate ownership of property.
Some people have had need of an attorney after trespassing and or removing items even trees or rocks from another persons property.
You can crack wise all you want. I'm a wisecracker from way back but getting arrested for trespassing isn't in my history.

Commercial river drives were banned due to environmental damage in the east long ago. Many eastern rivers still have large accumulations of logs that sunk. The local river near me stopped drives in the mid sixties and whenever the water level is dropped by the local dam, the bottom is still lined with 4 foot pulp logs. Many were marked on the butts by the owners of the logs and I know a few locals who collect the butts with different marks. There are firms that pop up on occasion who salvage the wood but its rare as most of the wood is 4 ' spruce/fir logs from the pulpmill era, the long stuff tends to be underneath. Special permits are required to remove the wood as sediment that has built up on the bottom around the logs gets stirred up. I saw an estimate at one time, that the entire Maine logging industry could shut down for several years if a economical way could be found to remove all the logs on the bottoms of Maine's rivers. It would be good for the rivers in the long run, but in the short run the sediment raised would choke the rivers and lower water quality for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.