Rmoving paint/ primer..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
Hey folks- as many of ya know GF's house is being renovated and we're keeping the original kitchen cabinet hardware. But the contractors painted everything, the black vintage hinges and all. I took one off andd scraped a bit with finternail at first with some success so I tossed it in water/ dishsoap solution thinking it would soften everything up, but in the recessed crevices there's till white paint, is there a solution of some sort tht will take off this new paint/ primer while leaving the original black intact?
thanks.............

WoodMann said:
Hey folks- as many of ya know GF's house is being renovated and we're keeping the original kitchen cabinet hardware. But the contractors painted everything, the black vintage hinges and all. I took one off andd scraped a bit with finternail at first with some success so I tossed it in water/ dishsoap solution thinking it would soften everything up, but in the recessed crevices there's till white paint, is there a solution of some sort tht will take off this new paint/ primer while leaving the original black intact?
thanks.............

There's chemical paint strippers to take all the paint off...
but I doubt it would leave the vintage paint.

Might be stuck stripping all the paint with a chemical cleaner and starting over.

Or since the paint is fresh, maybe a heat gun or quick hit w/ a torch would soften the fresh paint and leave the old. The problem would be getting it completely clean as it sounds like there is some decoration where it will be hard to clean the paint out of.

pen

Hmm- heat gun, yeah. I'm gonna try that; don't trust myself enough to use a torch. Thanks...................

Status
Not open for further replies.