Roadside wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimRT

Aug 27, 2019
WNY
The local utility company was trimming right of ways along the roads near camp back in November, during deer season. I filled my truck bed twice with 3 to 5 footers and finally got around to cutting them into 16 in rounds. They'll stay stacked like this until summer, then get split and stacked for use in a year or two.
Mostly ash, with some white oak and cherry also.

logs.jpg

The local utility company was trimming right of ways along the roads near camp back in November, during deer season. I filled my truck bed twice with 3 to 5 footers and finally got around to cutting them into 16 in rounds. They'll stay stacked like this until summer, then get split and stacked for use in a year or two.
Mostly ash, with some white oak and cherry also.

View attachment 273865
Good find you have there. Ash is some good stuff and you might be able to break into it within the first year if you split it before spring comes around. It does dry quite fast.

Reactions: JimRT
Very good!

Here in the NC mountains the power company put out a hit on all ash trees that were near power lines. The tree companies whacked many ash trees. These local guy had a hey day for about a month, cutting up all that ash and taking it home.

Reactions: D8Chumley and JimRT