1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Rocket Mass Heater

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wtyamamoto, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtyamamoto

wtyamamoto New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Just a curiosity. I saw a post somewhere mentioning "Rocket Mass Heaters" as a 'super efficient' type of wood burning stove. The only information I could really find on it is a book on how to make them yourself and it's appears to be gaining reputation among people who like to build eco-friendly houses. From images, it seems like it's made from 55 gallon steel drums.

Has anyone heard or used one of these? What's the deal with these?

Wayne

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole New Member

Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    I presume if they worked and were safe to use, there would be a company (or multiple companies) making and selling them for serious money. Given they are not, I think it safe to assume they are ineffective, undesirable to have around, or unsafe, or all of the above. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  3. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    From poking around they look to be a giant version of a wood gasification cooking stove.

That said, I'm not sure how that really differs in practice from a high efficiency wood stove. Essentially, a woodstove creates wood gas and burns it, followed by a charcoal burning stage.

Not sure how those things are really different, plus I can't say they're very attractive. Maybe interesting to play with for the academic exercise, but I doubt they could be better than and EPA approved stove, especially all the $$$ that companies like VC and Harmon etc... put in the R&D.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.