Not open for further replies.
  1. wtyamamoto

wtyamamoto
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 17, 2006
    Loc:
    Southern NH
    Just a curiosity. I saw a post somewhere mentioning "Rocket Mass Heaters" as a 'super efficient' type of wood burning stove. The only information I could really find on it is a book on how to make them yourself and it's appears to be gaining reputation among people who like to build eco-friendly houses. From images, it seems like it's made from 55 gallon steel drums.

Has anyone heard or used one of these? What's the deal with these?

Wayne

2. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    I presume if they worked and were safe to use, there would be a company (or multiple companies) making and selling them for serious money. Given they are not, I think it safe to assume they are ineffective, undesirable to have around, or unsafe, or all of the above. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

3. wg_bent

wg_bent
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    From poking around they look to be a giant version of a wood gasification cooking stove.

That said, I'm not sure how that really differs in practice from a high efficiency wood stove. Essentially, a woodstove creates wood gas and burns it, followed by a charcoal burning stage.

Not sure how those things are really different, plus I can't say they're very attractive. Maybe interesting to play with for the academic exercise, but I doubt they could be better than and EPA approved stove, especially all the $$$ that companies like VC and Harmon etc... put in the R&D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.