Rodents in your stacks? Here's a solution...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Is that a rat three rows down from the closest cast?

That's what I got...Both where really working my wood pile this Morning. (Splitting 40 cu ft a night off it) Must of hit a good vain last night.

JimboM said:
Is that a rat three rows down from the closest cat?
:lol:
Could be. Doesn't look like they're in the mood to expend much energy, does it?

The only rodents I have are squirrels, and I kind of like them. Sure they too can make a bit of mess in the wood, but unlike mice or packrats they don't smell or spread disease, and I enjoy their antics. there was a couple young squirrels hanging out in my woodshed that I was feeding (almost got them to take nuts from my hand), but they disapeared.
We don't have cats , but there's enough neigbour, and feral cats around the young squirrels don't last long.

So my question is, how do you get rid of the cats?

Carbon_Liberator said:
Act like you're getting ready to give them a bath. :lol:

Carbon_Liberator said:
The only rodents I have are squirrels, and I kind of like them. Sure they too can make a bit of mess in the wood, but unlike mice or packrats they don't smell or spread disease, and I enjoy their antics. there was a couple young squirrels hanging out in my woodshed that I was feeding (almost got them to take nuts from my hand), but they disapeared.
We don't have cats , but there's enough neigbour, and feral cats around the young squirrels don't last long.

Woodpiles begat rodents. Rodents begat cats. Cats begat dogs. Dogs begat knocked down wood piles. Knocked down wood piles end the cycle. So you can get a dog, or just go out and knock down your piles and call it a day.

My piles are loaded with chipmunks, saw the cat up there last night but didnt see any dead chipmunks around. The dog chased one into the wood pile this afternoon and was jumping up on the pile. As far as Im concerned they can live there through the summer and fall but come winter Im tearing their house down.

Good pic and that does look like a rodent a few rows below the cats. If it is them cats are "Slackers!" :)
I've seen chipmunks around my wood pile but don't see them as a problem- or should I?
Have you more experienced types that have seen an increase in rodents seen more snakes around?
I remember years ago my parents had a bunch of boulders dumped off a hill in our back yard that led down to a swamp (yes the EPA would have convulsions nowadays if someone did that) to extend the yard out. Brought in some topsoil and added about 20 ft off the back of the yard and the rock rubble leading down to the swamp.
Saw a HUGE rodent population spike with chipmunks all around and some big nasty rats, including one that chewed a hole thru a cinderblock to get into the house!
But then a few years into watching nature at work with the rodents we started seeing more and more and bigger snakes in the yard. Just Garter snakes so nothing nasty. Was fun from a young Darwin fan's point of view to watch our yard "evolve". Curious if peeps have seen snakes around their wood piles managing rodent populations?

ruserious2008 said:
Curious if peeps have seen snakes around their wood piles managing rodent populations?

All the time. Each winter I find about a dozen snakeskins in the piles as I bring them in the house.

my cat's too lazy to hunt wood-pikle rodents... she'd rather just sit there & stare at them (& maybe hope that one of them might fall into her mouth with out any effort on her part)

I watched a 5' rat snake wiggle his way into my woodpile last week.

As long as he leaves before I need the wood, we'll get along okay.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.