Rogue Pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, just being paranoid I guess, I do tend to "tend" the stove a lot, even if it's just frequently eyeballing it to make sure all is well. Carryover from the wood stove days, I presume, when I had to fuss with it constantly.

If I interpret the last question right, off-topic but yes, a Sunbeam Tiger, the one with the Ford V-8 (now a 302 Ford Motorsports "crate motor"). One of the few things I own that I have a picture of, so I use it as the avatar photo. Your truck looks like my next-door neighbor's, his has tube headers an an exhaust -- nice rumble.

you just keep an eye on it, unless they are really bad you should be able to go weekly between cleanings. I sometimes put my Tacoma in the bed for back up. Tiger is that a Sunbeam Model?

I burned wood prior also. The Harman pellets stoves are no worries at all. Mine runs constantly now while I sleep, away for work, without any cause for concern. It runs itself. I scrape the pot once a day quickly while it's running. Sometimes I go several days with that. I do clean it once a month and do a thorough job when I do.

These stoves are highly reliable ad really require nothing other than a bag of pellets when needed. That's it! I have no doubts I could run mine for a month without even scraping the pot I'd be willing to bet. I do like to take care of my stuff but I have relaxed up quite a bit on the "daily cleanings" and such. Those non-stop cleanings and full time service tech stove owner deals are for the ball and chain stoves.

I agree with ironpony about that. If I had to work that hard to stay warm I'd flip the stat switch or go back to burning wood. There is a place and service for many of these high maintenance stoves and they do heat well but I like to stare at a fire and not rub sticks together for heat. Not a Harman snob and I am a country farm boy but I do have better things to do than look at my stove pissed off every day.

I'm with Bags on this. A quick daily scrape of the burn pot. Once a week I shut it down and vacuum the inside and scrape the burnout completely, vacuum the inner burn pot and igniter area and clean the glass. This takes ten or fifteen minutes.
After a ton I tear down the stove a do a full clean out. At the end of the season I add a vent pipe brushing and plug the flue for the summer. Other then that I just feed pellets as needed. The Harmon runs 24/7 and eats whatever I feed it. I set it on 72 room temp and feed level 4. I never open the control box once I'm running 24/7.

I'm with Bags on this. A quick daily scrape of the burn pot. Once a week I shut it down and vacuum the inside and scrape the burnout completely, vacuum the inner burn pot and igniter area and clean the glass. This takes ten or fifteen minutes.
After a ton I tear down the stove a do a full clean out. At the end of the season I add a vent pipe brushing and plug the flue for the summer. Other then that I just feed pellets as needed. The Harmon runs 24/7 and eats whatever I feed it. I set it on 72 room temp and feed level 4. I never open the control box once I'm running 24/7.
Other than running my P61A at feed rate 3, I do the same routine but also clear out the fines box weekly..

That's the scary part -- I was thinking about bolstering the 2 tons of Hamers I got with individual bags of whatever I can find (Home Depot, whatever), 4-10 bags at a time. I'm thinking that whatever non-Hamers I get might really change how much cleaning/maintenance I need.

BTW, pretty sure my avatar would fit in the bed of your avatar.
When a Harman stove calls for fuel the auger turns moving a piece of metal as thought the auger was a camshaft, that bracket is fastened to a slide in the bottom of the hopper that opens and closes during the rotation of the auger. I think that noise could be both the auger and that slide breaking pellets. If you look in the back you will see a motor with a small fan on the end . Just lay there and watch it while listening to that noise. I think you will see the cause of the noise and after seeing it you can relax knowing it isn't anything to worry about. I have a tendency to wake up when I don't hear these sounds and know, Oh shucks , forgot to add to the hopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.