Rolex or BX up through the ash dump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheShack

Dec 6, 2019
Northern NJ
Hi all,

I’m having an insert installed next week and I need to get electrical into my fireplace to accommodate the blower. The fireplace has an ash dump that empties in my basement, conveniently just four feet from my service panel. My thinking is that I’ll run Romex from a new junction box straight up to the fireplace through the ash dump and fix a new single gang outlet box to the back of the fireplace. Anyone had any experience with this way of doing it and have any suggestions or concerns?

thanks!

I drilled a hole in a mortar joint, slid a piece of AC through the hole, and dropped a handybox into the fireplace. It's just sitting on the floor back there. When the time comes to sell the house, it'll be real easy to take it back out (discerning local homebuyers pay extra if the house is cold all the time because of the open fireplace, apparently).

I didn't use Romex because it has to travel over possibly-sharp masonry, and the blower could vibrate the wire over the years.

I think having the outlet in the fireplace is against code, but it does not get hot back there (the dealer had bags of pellet fuel stacked in the area behind his display). I also pulled the insert after the first year, and the nylon outlet's face looked absolutely brand new.

You wouldn't know the blower had a power cord unless you went looking for it.

There have been numerous threads discussing non-code stove installs and insurance claims not being paid as a result. I would discuss this with an electrician so I would have a clear understanding of the codes enabling me to make an informed decision.

I have a Rolex (Submariner) and it would never go in any ash dump....:)

EMT to 4x4 box mounted on cinderblock with a service switch in a raised cover. Out the back of the box with BX and up thru the ash dump into a single outlet handy box secured in the fire place opening.

Unless the insert is set up to be hardwired you can't plug it into an outlet behind the surround by code.

If folks are attempting to burn Rolexs in their stove I would think they really don't need to heat with wood . . . and I might respectfully suggest they burn rolls of $100 bills as they would burn much better. ;) :)