Roof Flashing - Tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Just pick up all my pipe for a garage install and plan on doing the work myself. Will have it all checked after install so no worries. Rather straight forward set up. Approx. 64" of single wall, up to the ceiling support, 2 x 3' lenghts of prefab, flashing-storm collar and rain cap. Just wondering about the Flashing. Anyone have any close up pics of a good install. Just wondering how many shingles to remove, where/how to seal, etc.

Any help is always appreciaited. Thanks.

The flashing is the same as a boot for a plumbing vent only larger. I usually do not remove any shingles I just loosen the seal down tabs with a flat bar or putty knife and reseal with blackjack when done. The lower edge of the flashing goes on top of the shingles everything else goes under the shingles. There is a good picture of this in this you tube video at about the seven minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhrBkhGjNKU&feature=related

Thank you. No You Tube at work so I will check it out later. Much appreciated.

No watching youtube at work? Egad, what's next! Cheers!

Lineman all the way. Canadian Forces Lineman actually. Limited elctrical expertise, more so trained in every other aspect. Towers, fiber, manholes, pole line, etc. As for You tube at work, I see the pros and cons. Since I work for the CF our PC's have a security rating and they really limited what we can and cannot see. Thankfully hearth.com is good to go.

We got hit by hurricane Ike a couple of years back in central Ohio . A bunch of crews came down from Ontario Hydro I believe to help us out. They called me out on the job one morning and told me they were sending in reinforcements. They said if the ground started shaking not to fear it was the Canadians coming! Those guys and gals were some serious linemen, they fought over who was going to get to climb next, and they did not need any tree crews they could handle anything that they encountered themselves ! They were great folks to work with.

Good to hear us Canuck's could help you out. My trade is very small in the Forces. Only about 350 of us but having such a diverse skill set allows us to get tons of work done in a short amount of time as opposed to arranging a pole line crew, splicing crew, inside crew........ Very proud of what we do and are asked to wire building, towns, Military camps, etc in some of the most God awful places across the globe. Get a few nice goes out of it as well so it all works well.

Thanks for the advice btw. Hooked up the stove tonight, in the dark, lol. Flashing seems, O.K. but will confirm in the daylight.

Status
Not open for further replies.