Roof leak need advice asap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
OK so a little storytime. I had someone here looking to quote insulation work in the attic when he pointed out he could see daylight from the exit vent of the bathroom. Looks like I have water damage. I called insurance to see if I can get it covered but that will take some time. I'll be climbing on the roof later today to have a better look.

Its going to start snowing. Do you think I can get away with a temporary fix using expanding foam and leak seal/flex seal as a barrier for the winter? I'm not a roofer, I've contacted some people but ultimately no one can make it out at this moment and snow is coming soon.

I'll let those more experienced give better answers, but...

What is the part that goes thru the roof? Pipe or some low profile exhaust cap?
Knowing that will help find the right temporary solution.

How big is the leak?
Do you have metal flashing you can cut and temporarily mount there with the uphill part under the shingles? (And use silicone with that.)

If you foam, I'd do that from the inside out. Also is it possible to add heavy plastic sheeting, and start that above the leaking place, stick it (and nail it if possible) under the shingles there and the over the leak. That prevents water from running down to the leak.

I'll let those more experienced give better answers, but...

What is the part that goes thru the roof? Pipe or some low profile exhaust cap?
Knowing that will help find the right temporary solution.

How big is the leak?
Do you have metal flashing you can cut and temporarily mount there with the uphill part under the shingles? (And use silicone with that.)

If you foam, I'd do that from the inside out. Also is it possible to add heavy plastic sheeting, and start that above the leaking place, stick it (and nail it if possible) under the shingles there and the over the leak. That prevents water from running down to the leak.
It's a metal pipe. I don't have any metal flashing at all. I do have some plastic that may work.... I'm about to get up there and I will post up a picture soon. Then it's off to the hardware store.

The damage inside is visually stained but not rotted out.

Found the leak.

20211206_134453.jpg 20211206_134424.jpg

This is not a bathroom exhaust? (No hose going from a fan in the ceiling to this penetration in the roof). This is a hot attic air ventilation part, I think.

I can't see a leak, just wet wood.
On the roof there should be a square of metal around (and attached/part of) the "cap" thing (forgive my lack of knowledge regarding the terminology - not a native speaker). This suggests to me that some of that has not been installed correctly with the shingles. The top (uphill) side should be under the shingles, and the bottom on top of the shingles.

Is the water downhill from the penetration?
Is there a single slope on the roof (i.e. left and right are at the same height, top and bottom are not)?
Are there shingle nails penetrating the metal on the sides?

I think you have to be on the roof to fix this.

Reactions: beermann
This is not a bathroom exhaust? (No hose going from a fan in the ceiling to this penetration in the roof). This is a hot attic air ventilation part, I think.

On the roof there should be a square of metal around (and attached/part of) the "cap" thing (forgive my lack of knowledge regarding the terminology - not a native speaker). This suggests to me that some of that has not been installed correctly with the shingles. The top (uphill) side should be under the shingles, and the bottom on top of the shingles.

Is there a single slope on the roof (i.e. left and right are at the same height, top and bottom are not)?

You are correct. I took the word of the last person who went up there. I just had a look myself and the bathroom exhaust us to my right. It's fine

ah, wait. That one bright spot is the leak.

Yes, you have to go up the roof. I suspect a nail of the shingles pushed up through the shingle (and, if close enough, the metal surrounding of the vent). Then water got in, the thing started rotting, the hole became bigger.

Get a piece of metal flashing (or any thing metal sheet, aluminum best, no rusting), a tube of flashing cement (or, if not available, silicone caulk). If the shingles are still pliable (not so in cold weather), also get a few (roofing) nails.
Go up, slide the metal over the hole, and under the uphil shingles. If you can nail it (under the uphill shingle, so the shingle covers the nail), do that. If too cold, leave it be, and use liberal flashing cement to secure the metal flat (so no wind can get underneath). on all sides.

20211206_133424.jpg

That's a temp solution. Then get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it properly :)

Reactions: lml999 and beermann
outside pic: yes, likely the nail through the flat metal piece that's the culprit. Slide your metal under the corner of the flashing, apply flashing cement in the right places (so no water runs under the metal sheet you install), and it'll be ok for a while.

I find that nail in the exposed metal flashing to be stupid. I see it more often. But that's a hole right from the "rain" into your attic.

One option (if no water can go under the flashing other than at the nail position), could be to add a *liberal* amount of flashing cement or silicone caulk right into/over the hole.
I like a metal flashing piece as noted above better.

I will buy some of this equipment and have a go at the repair.

Piece of flashing
Flashing cement

ah, wait. That one bright spot is the leak.

Yes, you have to go up the roof. I suspect a nail of the shingles pushed up through the shingle (and, if close enough, the metal surrounding of the vent). Then water got in, the thing started rotting, the hole became bigger.

Get a piece of metal flashing (or any thing metal sheet, aluminum best, no rusting), a tube of flashing cement (or, if not available, silicone caulk). If the shingles are still pliable (not so in cold weather), also get a few (roofing) nails.
Go up, slide the metal over the hole, and under the uphil shingles. If you can nail it (under the uphill shingle, so the shingle covers the nail), do that. If too cold, leave it be, and use liberal flashing cement to secure the metal flat (so no wind can get underneath). on all side

Reactions: stoveliker
I see the edge of the flashing that's exposed on the side bulges up a bit, I'd also "fill" that with caulk because depending on the prevailing wind, water could be blown under there.

Ok, good luck, and be safe up there.

I have the same problem but what my leak does is slide down the side of the black pipe and its not hurting the installation or anything and I have a plastic container to catch it for now until I discover how to fix the problem--but I do need a new roof....My problem is this pipe..clancey

attic ceiling leak 001.JPG attic ceiling leak 002.JPG

@clancey: suggests the "boots" (that I know smaller diameter pipes have, and I suspect this bigger one too) that are like cones at the bottom of the pipe and divert the water away from the roof penetration is not in proper shape. Someone needs to go up there for that to be fixed.

90% fixed

To my surprise the nail was still sitting there. It a rotten hole. So I got a tube of roofing tar and filled in the hole then emptied that thing under the flashing and then sealed along the edge of the flashing the same way I would caulk around a bathroom.

Some of the shingles are a bit loose so I'm getting more tubes if tar tomorrow and making my way along any loose shingles. Just putting a line of tar under them and pressing it down.

If I have time I'll consider walking the roof to seal up any issues I see.

Thanks for the input guys.

Reactions: clancey
Good.
I'd be careful doing other shingles now. Loose is not bad, as long as the wind doesn't lift them up. Bending them up now (to put the black stuff underneath) might result in breaking them because in this weather they don't bend easily. So I'd do that when the sun is able to warm them up nicely. May or so.

What you can do is see if nails are popping up, and then put a blob of the black stuff on them (edit: after hammering them back down..).

Last edited:
now that you have fixed it you have just released your insurance company from fixing your roof properly... Everything should have went through your insurance ant as a temp solution tossed a tarp up their, or had a roofing company come and do the repair and document everything for insurance... of course with the insurances approval.... You have been living with that leak for years judging by the rot so a few more weeks would not have hurt anything... Insurance would have had to peal the roof and replace the wood, not patch

With deductibles, having a professional fix the leak would still be the home owners cost. And that can still be done now.

The OP wanted a quick fix. The wood will hold (if kept dry from now on) until the next roof replacement, unless one steps on that particular spot.

Why should any insurance company be paying out for poor maintenance? What am I missing??

having a professional temp fix the leak would have been a insurance cost until the roof could be repaired completely.

That is not poor maint... Insurance companies do not want home owners going up on the roof to begin with let alone doing their own repair. If nails are popping on a roof that does not really look that old that's a installation issue. Personally i have never seen a nail pop in a roof before and i have done a few