Roof leak need advice asap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Regardless, it's moot now. The OP stopped a leak (we hope). He can still have it professionally fixed or not. He can ask the insurance or not. Almost all home owners are able to make that call for their particular situation. Second guessing that without the pertinent information is not very helpful here imo.

Reactions: beermann
Good.
I'd be careful doing other shingles now. Loose is not bad, as long as the wind doesn't lift them up. Bending them up now (to put the black stuff underneath) might result in breaking them because in this weather they don't bend easily. So I'd do that when the sun is able to warm them up nicely. May or so.

What you can do is see if nails are popping up, and then put a blob of the black stuff on them.
I'll do the nail walk and wait for summer to do the rest of the work.
now that you have fixed it you have just released your insurance company from fixing your roof properly... Everything should have went through your insurance ant as a temp solution tossed a tarp up their, or had a roofing company come and do the repair and document everything for insurance... of course with the insurances approval.... You have been living with that leak for years judging by the rot so a few more weeks would not have hurt anything... Insurance would have had to peal the roof and replace the wood, not patch
I solved this before doing the repair.

Insurance won't cover wear and tear orver general upkeep issues. This was not bad enough for an insurance claim and a $3000 deductible. For $12 is was worth the hassle to temporarily maintain it and then give it a better look during the summer and repair it myself since I can't actually afford to pay for an insurance claim.

Insurance will however cover the issue if its cause was specifically due to weather (flipped shingles, roof ripped up from winds) if it was poor upkeep I would have been in a battle over a $12 patch and some work next year.

On a side note, also contacted insurance directly and a professional roofer to make sure I didn't make the worst decision possible.

Reactions: stoveliker
The leak is 100% stopped. The repair is 90% complete because I have not walked all over the roof to do general maintenance yet so I won't consider it done until the big inspection. Weather conditions are not good.

For those unaware we would be hard pressed to get anyone to replace a roof during a northern winter and it started snowing heavily during the repair.

You are 100% correct regarding deductibles and I'm fairly sure deductibles renew yearly or every few years.

Reasonably thinking if the issue persists then I still have a claim that I can make regardless of the patchwork I've done.

With deductibles, having a professional fix the leak would still be the home owners cost. And that can still be done now.

The OP wanted a quick fix. The wood will hold (if kept dry from now on) until the next roof replacement, unless one steps on that particular spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
I am sure glad your roofing job is finished for now for we sure do not want you "sliding" off the roof in the snow--hope it works out great...clancey

Reactions: beermann
From da lady---so nice and glad that's over with for now--snow is coming again in a big way..I need to wait until friday for some but one thing about it--you are ready now..Yes..old clancey