Roof Leaks & IR Thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
I've a couple of water leaks that have been real stumpers.
Inspecting it from the ground just now, I can see some very obvious and interesting
anomalies in the snow. It looks like a couple spots where heat may be escaping and melting the snow
thus giving away the location of the leaks. But alas, I can no longer risk crawling
on snow covered roofs.
Would it be feasible to use an IR thermometer in a couple days when the snow melts?
I ask first as I don't currently own one.
(Please do NOT move this to the DIY section as I have no access.)
Thanks-
Kenny

It should be the same temperature in your attic as outside. So I'm not quite understanding things.

Got pics?

(I'd just crawl up in my attic and look around - don't think an IR will help much here.)

maple1 said:
It should be the same temperature in your attic as outside. So I'm not quite understanding things.

Got pics?

(I'd just crawl up in my attic and look around - don't think an IR will help much here.)

It starts leaking. I go into attic to check drip pan.
I notice some mold about eight feet away leading to where it drips. I go out to look at roof.
There's about three inches of snow evenly smooth across the roof but wait a minute,
at about that eight foot mark, there's an obvious hole in the snow.
Yes I got great pictures but can't seem to get them up.
There's a couple smaller holes up the slope from other leaks.
I believe when the snow melts, I can go up there with an IR gun and find heat escaping from the attic.
I've already convinced myself to try it but ...............
Thanks-
Kenny

Even with 5ft of insulation some heat will escape into the attic. BUT as long as the attic is vented properly it's a non-issue.

Sounds like you need to forget about repair. With more than one leak it's probably time to replace. Yes sometimes infrared heat
guns can be used to find leaks, usually in factories on flat roofs. the heat escapes through the wet insulation.

Let's get the pictures up. This might just be an isolated defect. We also need to get your DIY problem taken care of. That's where this post should be for the best responses.

You can PM me or email me with the pics if this is just a tech issue. The help file for posting pictures is here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/27_2/

BeGreen said:
Let's get the pictures up. This might just be an isolated defect. We also need to get your DIY problem taken care of. That's where this post should be for the best responses.

You can PM me or email me with the pics if this is just a tech issue. The help file for posting pictures is here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/27_2/

Moderator- Move to DIY if you deem appropriate.

Attachments

• DSCN0023.jpg
    DSCN0023.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 262
Moved. Is there a ridge vent on the house?

We have a IR Camera at work and it is amazing! Our flat roof leaks like a sieve too (Despite being very new). You could find a leak with the IR themo too, best results are on a cool evening after a sunny day. Mositure under the roof will stay warm for a bit.

Sounds like ice is damming up at the angle change area between the 2 roofs. As there is no penetrations, it is either ice damming, or a hole or holes. Follow the mold, and that will show you were the problem is.
If it is moldy, its been that was a while. Could be as simple as a nail or tow backed out and the head popped through the shingle. Water will follow the nail and run in. But could be a very slow leak that you wouldn't have noticed right away. Don't both to just hammer the nail back down, it will just back out again. Pull those mails and put one in a couple inches away and make sure its sunk flat & solid. Then take some black jack or silicone and squirt it underneath the tab where the hole(s) is/are. Then press the tab back down. If your real particular about looks, and you have a few spare shingles laying around, rub the face of two together over a paid or large pc of cardboard, rag whatever, then collect the granules that rubbed off and sprinkle them over the caulk and lightly press them in a little. Never see the repair from the ground.

Oops, wow my spelling went to crap there. Guess you got my meaning. Let us know what you find. I would try and find it from the attic for now. No sense trying to go on a snow covered roof. Been there done that, ain't real fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.