Room Air Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefraser

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2009
Somersworth,NH
I came home today and did not feel much air being blown from stove even though the fan was on 9. I took the back off the stove and vacumed the grate over the convection blower. It was pretty bad. I've burned about 2.5 tons in 3 months. By the looks of this I should have done this before now. It's back to blowing out a good amount of air. I know it's been said but anyone thats not done this after a few tons I'd reccomend it. Really easy once you can get your vacum to the grate on the blower.

I really have seen a difference in my flame imediatly when I did this. Like it's getting more air. Would make since but the outside air to the burnpot is blown by the combustion (exaust) blower. Am I Missing something here?

joefraser said:
.....It was pretty bad. I've burned about 2.5 tons in 3 months. By the looks of this I should have done this before now.

I really have seen a difference in my flame imediatly when I did this. Like it's getting more air. Would make since but the outside air to the burnpot is blown by the combustion (exaust) blower. Am I Missing something here?

First, you shouldn't wait more than about 1 or 1 1/2 tons MAX before cleaning BOTH blowers. I'm guessing that since you ran 2.5 tons through your stove, your comb. blower needs cleaning too.

As for the change in flame, don't know how that's possible....the two blowers have nothing to do with each other, afaik.

macman said:
joefraser said:
.....It was pretty bad. I've burned about 2.5 tons in 3 months. By the looks of this I should have done this before now.

First, you shouldn't wait more than about 1 or 1 1/2 tons MAX before cleaning BOTH blowers. I'm guessing that since you ran 2.5 tons through your stove, your comb. blower needs cleaning too.

As for the change in flame, don't know how that's possible....the two blowers have nothing to do with each other, afaik.

I did do the other blower previously. Took apart and cleaned blades. Done 2 Leaf blower vacuums already on the vent pipe. Do you need to take the combustion blower apart each ton or is the leaf blower doing the trick? It's a pain to get off and the gasket seems to be easily ripped.

joefraser said:
...... Do you need to take the combustion blower apart each ton or is the leaf blower doing the trick? It's a pain to get off and the gasket seems to be easily ripped.

Yes, the comb. blowers are tricky to get off w/o ripping the gasket. I take the nuts off and hold the motor in place while i slide a sharp pen knife slowly around the gasket on the stove side.......usually allows me to remove it w/o it ripping (much). Even if it tears slightly, I've used HiTemp silicone to "glue" the ends together when i re-install the blower.

As for the leaf blower cleaning the comb. blower.....no, the blower vanes are right in the high temp air stream, and the soot gets baked on....needs a putty knife/wire brush to be removed, IMO.

Yes, I remove & clean mine every 1 - 1 1/2 tons.

Status
Not open for further replies.