room air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kibblesret

Oct 6, 2013
I have a small Regency stove on a pedestal. The damper rod does nothing when moved. The stove runs fine except it is always on "high."

I looked at my manual and it says if room air is used the plate covering the vent hole must be left off.
Mine is on and there is a plug in the hole that is at the base of the pedestal.

I am guessing that the on;y air the stove gets really is what comes in the secondary venting.

Would taking the plate off the room air hole improve the ability to damp the stove down?

It certainly sounds like the plate should have been removed if you do not have an outside air kit, but when was the stove installed and by whom? If it was purchased and installed by a dealer, what do they say about it?

We are the second owners and the first owner passed away. I think the stove was installed by the local fellow that also does inspections but he is away working. The stove does run fine but at the same level all the time.
Opening the fresh or room air plate would just give it more air and it would burn hotter which we do not need so perhaps they installed it like they did to stop that.

I think I would run it by the installer first, but if you remove the plate, you should get full control back. What you are experiencing now is not right. The control rod should allow you to turn the air down far enough for low heat, but it will allow some air through to avoid smouldering and supply some air to the secondaries (assuming this is an EPA-type stove).

What is the model number of the Regency? Can you show some pics of the plates in question?

Status
Not open for further replies.