Room Filling Up With Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheNatural

Dec 19, 2023
Newfoundland
I've been posting here because my Super 27 hasn't been giving off much heat and not much flame on the wood. I knew the wood was dry so I couldn't figure it out. Tonight the smoke backed up into the room and filled the house with smoke. I've read it's likely creosote build up but I'm surprised at this because we haven't used it very much. This is the first year we are using it every day. So I guess a chimney cleaner can fix this problem? It shouldn't be anything wrong with the stove itself?

How did you know the wood was dry?

Hard to definitively say because the symptoms definitely reek of green wood. @bigealta asks and I ask too because I have been bamboozled by sellers claiming to sell seasoned wood and in reality it's in 30% moisture. Fresh split and measure the split face and when I tell you when I measured properly, my jaw dropped at the difference.

Anyway, if you're sure and the wood is tested and actually dry an issue with negative pressure can be a lot of things. Depending on what and how you burned last year could definitely cause some build up and a good rated chimney sweep and inspector can answer those questions at least. My gut reaction would be to get somebody out to just take a look. Everybody will tell you something different, but before a heavy burn season just getting somebody out to verify the setup is safe and the chimney is clean is always a good move. A pain in the neck, but worth it for peace of mind.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Reactions: bigealta
Hard to definitively say because the symptoms definitely reek of green wood. @bigealta asks and I ask too because I have been bamboozled by sellers claiming to sell seasoned wood and in reality it's in 30% moisture. Fresh split and measure the split face and when I tell you when I measured properly, my jaw dropped at the difference.

Anyway, if you're sure and the wood is tested and actually dry an issue with negative pressure can be a lot of things. Depending on what and how you burned last year could definitely cause some build up and a good rated chimney sweep and inspector can answer those questions at least. My gut reaction would be to get somebody out to just take a look. Everybody will tell you something different, but before a heavy burn season just getting somebody out to verify the setup is safe and the chimney is clean is always a good move. A pain in the neck, but worth it for peace of mind.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you for your answers, I don't exactly know the moisture content of the wood, but we stacked and dried it last spring, and I've seen it dry. So we will call the inspector tomorrow and find out what's going on. I hope it is green wood because that would be an easy fix. I'll keep you posted

Thank you for your answers, I don't exactly know the moisture content of the wood, but we stacked and dried it last spring, and I've seen it dry. So we will call the inspector tomorrow and find out what's going on. I hope it is green wood because that would be an easy fix. I'll keep you posted
Agree, green wood is a good answer because that's totally in your control! If you don't have one and have the means, definitely invest in a moisture meter. Not too expensive and will definitely let you know if what you are burning is going to cause you these types of problems. Although, an adverse effect is getting mad at wood sellers for selling wet wood! Lol

Good luck, hopefully they can answer your questions and solve your problem.

Not sure what wood you burn up there but red/white oak I split/stacked last winter is still too wet to burn. 25-30% mc as read by my meter. And we had a pretty dry summer.

If there is a cap screen, that is the first thing to check for plugging.

Agree with begreen. Look for some kind of obstruction in the connector pipe and chimney.

I’m curious to see if the problem was found.