Room to Room Ventilators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cac4 said:
There's also this one, which was actually intended for this purpose (moving air laterally). posted it in another thread a couple of weeks ago...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...angId;=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100047556

it says 200 cfm, but doesn't give a sound rating. the reviews are positive...one said that it was "quiet"...(but how do we know that guy ain't just deaf?)

I even looked through the directions...no sound levels in there, either.

Looks decent good to me, for 200CFM . They seem to tout it as being quiet and at least one positive reviewer claims it is quiet but of course that is subject to opinion. Unless sound measurement figures are available for the unit it`s hard to say for sure.

Hi. Here's a link to that fan, which I have. http://www.suncourt.com/ThruWall108.html .It states 49 to 55 dB. It didn't work for my application. I was trying to move air from the stairway into the adjacent 2nd floor room. Blew hot air (approaching 80), but given that the room was in the upper 50's, even after several hrs I had minimal rise in temp. Old farmhouse, narrow doorways and no doors.

ohbix said:
Hi. Here's a link to that fan, which I have. http://www.suncourt.com/ThruWall108.html .It states 49 to 55 dB. It didn't work for my application. I was trying to move air from the stairway into the adjacent 2nd floor room. Blew hot air (approaching 80), but given that the room was in the upper 50's, even after several hrs I had minimal rise in temp. Old farmhouse, narrow doorways and no doors.

high ceilings? poor insulation...drafts, in this old house? maybe its not an issue of "moving" the heat, so much as it is "holding it in". The room I have in mind stays about 5 degrees cooler than the stove room, without doing anything at all.

ohbix said:

You may benefit from a "cold air return"? Rather than trying to get a small volume of warm air to raise the temp of a large volume of cold air, put the warm air fan high, close to the ceiling, and cut another hole low to the floor. This should push the cold air out of the room to some extent. If the room is sealed fairly well, not drafty, I think I would try pushing the cold air out instead, creating negative pressure in the room to pull the warm air in.
Just a thought.
Mike -

p.s. the rooms door should be closed as much as possible for best results.

what about my case? I have central AC with registers in the house, the central AC is separate from the baseboard heating and it has the air handler in the attic.

The main big return register is in the hallway on the 2nd floor above the stairs (2 story colonial house).

If I set the system to FAN only to move air around, I wonder if the air will actually get cold because it will circulate through the ducts going to the attic and the air handler, attic is cold in winter as only its floor has the batts insulation.

I thought about doing this last winter with passive vents near the ceiling.... we ended up installing 4 ceiling fans to help push the hot air off the ceiling; that seemed to work well. I may still put some vents between the rooms to help move the hot air more easily to other parts of the house.

geek said:
. . . I wonder if the air will actually get cold because it will circulate through the ducts going to the attic . . . .

Try it and see. Air handlers usually move a lot of air very quickly. If the ducting is insulated and the amount of ducting running through the attic is minimal, the temp drop should be minimal. Think of it this way, in the summer you are running cold air through the hottest part of your house (the attic). The air still comes out of the register cold right? I'd definitely try it.
Mike -

Status
Not open for further replies.