Rotating a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AllieKat

Apr 9, 2018
Manchester, NH
This may be a silly question so I'll apologize in advance. We are considering purchasing a home that has a wood stove smack in the middle of the open concept living/dining area. I think it was probably put there because it was the easiest place to run the chimney but it really looks awful. It faces the door, which makes no sense to me. We would like to rotate it 90 degrees, so it faces the living room. It's on a good size hearth so that should not be an issue.

Other than the fact that this beast must weigh a ton, is there any reason why we could not do this? We know pretty much nothing at all about wood stoves other than you put wood in them and make fire, so we have a lot to learn about maintenance, etc.

Thank you!

Can be done as long as the hearth requirements are still met. (typically 8" on the sides and 16" in front of the stove door). A stove shop or good sweep should be able to do te job in under an hour. Maybe get it done when the chimney is being swept?

This may be a silly question so I'll apologize in advance.

There are no silly questions around here! We're all here to learn/and or educate and help one another out! A home with a wood stove sounds like a nice bonus! If you go for it, come back here to learn everything you need to know!

A picture of your set up would be nice...

This may be a silly question so I'll apologize in advance. We are considering purchasing a home that has a wood stove smack in the middle of the open concept living/dining area. I think it was probably put there because it was the easiest place to run the chimney but it really looks awful. It faces the door, which makes no sense to me. We would like to rotate it 90 degrees, so it faces the living room. It's on a good size hearth so that should not be an issue.

Other than the fact that this beast must weigh a ton, is there any reason why we could not do this? We know pretty much nothing at all about wood stoves other than you put wood in them and make fire, so we have a lot to learn about maintenance, etc.

Thank you!

I was seriously hoping you had found a way to have a rotating wood stove. Then you could see it from any room you happened to be in!!! All kidding aside this is hands down the most informative site for answering any questions you have. If you google a question about burning wood or wood stoves the query usually has multiple answers from hearth.com. Welcome aboard
!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: weatherguy
I saw a rotating stove in a showroom, looked exactly like a jotul 370 but was a different luxury brand.

Actually could be rotated while burning, 180* I think, very smoothly too...

I was seriously hoping you had found a way to have a rotating wood stove. Then you could see it from any room you happened to be in!!! All kidding aside this is hands down the most informative site for answering any questions you have. If you google a question about burning wood or wood stoves the query usually has multiple answers from hearth.com. Welcome aboard
!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: spolleypt
Rais stoves swivel