Rotating wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, I split 4.5 cord of red oak back in March, stacked it in 3 rows, a foot between 'em, with afternoon sun beatin' on 'em, and westerly winds blowin' on 'em, and I ain't touched that stack since.

I got another 6 cord stacked from last year, and I ain't touched that either :)

Now, I walk by it most every day and look it over, ya know, pick at the bark of a piece here and there, pull a piece of the apple wood out and sniff it, take a leak around the back of the pile to keep the weeds down, but I ain't moved any of it!

I rotate my logs gently at 3, 6 & 9 months, taking care not to disturb the sediments so that they can be consolidated and removed before burning. Oak is particularly sensitive and should be riddled with care.

I make sure my wood pile is rotated weekly--whether it needs it or not.

Seriously though, I have noticed over the years that the wood at the top of the pile is usually noticeably drier than the stuff down near the bottom. That's with a 6- or 7-foot tall pile. I've never restacked it to try to get even drying, and I'm not even sure if it would work. I'm thinking maybe the dry stuff you put down lower in the stack will just suck up moisture, thereby negating all that work. I'm talking about wood stacked indoors, BTW. Used to be in my basement but now it's in the barn. Same deal both places. It seems to be less of an issue outside.

I have limited space so I have 4 rows 6ft tall, 1 is 14ft long, 2 are 11ft long the 4th is 8ft long. About 6in between each row.

no man said:
I have limited space so I have 4 rows 6ft tall, 1 is 14ft long, 2 are 11ft long the 4th is 8ft long. About 6in between each row.

Sounds good, no man...leave 'em be and they'll do just fine. Thanks for being a good sport through all of our absurdity. Best, Rick

Hey I wasn't mad I had to tear part of it down and rebuild it anyway. Like I said one part of the inside stack was leaning I figured sooner or later it would fall. But yes part of the joke was on me cause instead of only tearing the inside stack down. I started tearing them all down. So it did get rotated but thats cause it was all in a big pile inthe yard. I think next year I may try a Holz they look like they take up less space.

Status
Not open for further replies.