Round 2.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Hearth Supporter
Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
This is the second year i'm heating with a Dutch West Med. Non-Cat Cast stove. Im not sure how many postings have been about DW or VC lately on here, so i figured i'd throw out my info for those who may be on there first yr of burning.

It took a while but i pretty much got how to effectively heat my home with this stove and not over fire the thing or smoke the fire out. Number one thing is WOOD. I'm burning 14 month seasoned oak, cherry and maple with some locust. Second is the air control (or lake there of). I had to modify my secondary air intake; i'm now about 95% blocked. I also had to add an in damper flu. Then it's all about learning when to enable the Everburn. After that it's all good. I do think other stoves would have been a much better purchase but the DW cranks out heat and looks nice.

I still have minor difficulties, but it's the shoulder season and i'm not trying to go 100% FULL burn on this yet. I ordered a fan kit and will post back with those results soon.

Good luck with that Dutchwest trailblaze. You sure are right on about the number 1 thing being the wood. If all would learn that we'd have 80% fewer problems with the stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.