Routine Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAV1

Hearth Supporter
Feb 11, 2010
Northern, NJ
Ok, my stove is almost 2 weeks old.. I have done a routine cleaning about 4 times now, and I'm worried I'm missing something.

I basically let it cool off, clean the glass (windex), clean the burn pot, remove clinkers and then vacuum everything out.

My question, should I be doing more on a routine basis? Do you need to do anything to the stove walls inside? They have gotten so dirty so quickly and the vacuum simply removes the loose ash.. Do I need to brush it or use some type of cleaner?

Thanks

PAV1 said:
Ok, my stove is almost 2 weeks old.. I have done a routine cleaning about 4 times now, and I'm worried I'm missing something.

I basically let it cool off, clean the glass (windex), clean the burn pot, remove clinkers and then vacuum everything out.

My question, should I be doing more on a routine basis? Do you need to do anything to the stove walls inside? They have gotten so dirty so quickly and the vacuum simply removes the loose ash.. Do I need to brush it or use some type of cleaner?

Thanks

It all depends on how much pellet you burn through it and how dirty the fuel is

the normal every day cleaning for most basic pellet stoves is.
dump and clean out the burn pot once every 2-3 bags or every time you re Light it.
Scrape the Heat Exchange scrapers once a week or when you think about it when it is cold.
Dump ashes when the drawer is full.
Clean out any ash traps in the firebox about every 25 bags
Dumb out any T clean out trap on the pipe every 50

Some stove with all the bells you dont have to be cleaned as much.
I open the door on my Envrio omega once a season (after about 1.5 tons) Clean it Fall and then in Dec

The annual service is a who new ball game and you can learn more about that in the yellow sticky pages at the top of the pellet room.

It seems what you are doing is pretty much in line what should be done on a frequent basis. Personally speaking, I would not use any cleaners on the interior walls of my stove. The build up on your glass and walls is probably from burning the stove for an extended time on the lower settings. You should run your stove on high for 20-30 minutes per day during the heating season. Before doing your routine cleanings, I would recommend you set your stove on high for this 20-30 minute period, shut it down, and allow it to cool. You will have cooked off most of that creosote and it should come off like loose ash.

A good rule of thumb is to give the stove a deep cleaning after every ton of pellets. Any decrease in overall performance of your stove should be cause for a deep cleaning. Every stove will perform differently depending on how it is vented, the quality of pellets you feed it, and most importanly, how it is maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.