Roxul help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Two ideas:

First, a blower or fan. Not another ecofan, they are more expensive novelty than serious air mover.

Second, perhaps the vertical block off plate could be more diagonal. What I mean here is, angle it with more space at the bottom, and have the top terminate where your heat shield begins, assuming you can still clear the stove with an inch or so. Eliminate the horizontal heat trap immediately behind the stove, and hopefully a rising convection current will roll out of the space and into the room.

Both ideas will help your situation.

Like your idea to add magnets to increase the spacing.

Thanks ED 3000! Regarding a blower, do you have any recommendations for something that might work well with the Jotul F100. From what I can tell there's nothing specifically made for this stove, so I'd need some sort of a generic blower that would work. I don't even understand exactly where a blower sits on/around the stove. Sorry, I've been trying to search about this on the site and other places, but haven't been finding much (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!). I'll start another thread specifically for blower recommendations, but if you have any thoughts, let me know.

I put in the additional magnets and now have an inch of airspace between the heat shield and mantel. Seemed to work pretty well last night, but the jury is still somewhat out as the wood I used was a little questionable and the fire wasn't getting quite as hot as the night before. Nonetheless, I feel better about the air gap and not having the metal touching the marble.

I may try to angle the vertical block off plate as you suggest. For now, I moved it back a few inches and having a little more space is giving me a little more peace of mind too!

Last edited:
Begreen, I don't doubt your expertise, but it was a little too close for comfort for me. This could be because the back of my stove is right under the fireplace surround, which isn't very tall (30 inches and stove is 22.5") and the marble was getting very hot. I could be wrong about this, but I think that with the metal plate so close to the back of the stove, it was extra hot right in that area. I moved the plate back a few inches more so I now have about 5 or 6 inches from the back of the stove, which is still far less space for hot air to collect than with the open fireplace firebox, but gives the hot air a little more space to disperse (at least according to my amateur scientific theory!). Out of curiosity, however, if the stove manual says that it should have 5 inches clearance to a rear protected surface, why do you feel it's okay to have less? Is a block off plate behind the stove not what they would refer to as a rear surface?
The clearances listed in the manual are to combustibles. The metal and roxul are non-combustible. Behind them is at least 8" of brick, also non-combustible.. The stove can be right against the metal. It is no more combustible than the brick in the fireplace. The only combustible is the mantel which should be watched for temp.

Thanks ED 3000! Regarding a blower, do you have any recommendations for something that might work well with the Jotul F100. From what I can tell there's nothing specifically made for this stove, so I'd need some sort of a generic blower that would work. I don't even understand exactly where a blower sits on/around the stove. Sorry, I've been trying to search about this on the site and other places, but haven't been finding much (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!). I'll start another thread specifically for blower recommendations, but if you have any thoughts, let me know.

I put in the additional magnets and now have an inch of airspace between the heat shield and mantel. Seemed to work pretty well last night, but the jury is still somewhat out as the wood I used was a little questionable and the fire wasn't getting quite as hot as the night before. Nonetheless, I feel better about the air gap and not having the metal touching the marble.

I may try to angle the vertical block off plate as you suggest. For now, I moved it back a few inches and having a little more space is giving me a little more peace of mind too!
I think I'm out of my scope when it comes to a fan or blower recommendation in your exact situation, a separate thread will probably get some good suggestions.

Reactions: KennyK
The clearances listed in the manual are to combustibles. The metal and roxul are non-combustible. Behind them is at least 8" of brick, also non-combustible.. The stove can be right against the metal. It is no more combustible than the brick in the fireplace. The only combustible is the mantel which should be watched for temp.

Thanks for the clarification! Related question: Is the marble surround considered combustible? I assume not, but I believe marble can crack if too hot. And, would it be possible for the marble to heat up so much that it could be a fire hazard for the wood mantle that's touching the marble, even if the mantle meets clearances? If so, how hot are we talking about for that marble to be a hazard? Sorry if I'm getting too technical around small details, just want to know these things to learn as a new burner and to keep everything safe now and for years to come!

Marble is non-combustible. If the wood on the mantel stays below 160F it should be ok.

Reactions: KennyK