Roxul, if you need some check here & save $$$$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herdbull

Dec 31, 2010
Wisconsin
So with the new stove being delivered today I'm gathering other supplies for the install. I looked all over for this stuff in a smaller quantity than a huge bag and found these guys.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-AFB--1003.html

This stuff ranges from $40-$50 per bag by me. Kinda pricey when you only need a little. This company sells it in single sheets or even in scrap pieces. Saved myself over $30 and will have plenty to do the job. I ordered this morning and he said ti will ship out by noon and be here in 2 days or less.

Just wanted to pass it along to everyone.

Good to know. Checking online for it at Lowe's is a good idea too. Back when I installed these liners in 2006 you couldn't buy the stuff anywhere. I ended up going to a bankruptcy auction and buying a bundle left over in their building maintenance department materials. Yeah, that's how much I believe in using it instead of pink stuff.

I bought the whole bag, only used 2 bats. If anyone needs some message me. I have 9 full 16"X4' bats and one 8" short. $5 each

Mr A said:
I bought the whole bag, only used 2 bats. If anyone needs some message me. I have 9 full 16"X4' bats and one 8" short. $5 each

Should have pushed the rest down the chimney around the liner. Works a treat.

Maybe I will, good idea!

May as well use it up as BB says. Every little bit will help.

Or find a neighbor you dont like and stuff it between his pillow and pillow case.

I should have mentioned it was either try and get a block off plate in there or use this stuff. I didn't feel a need to insulate the whole liner. I have 16' ceilings with no upstairs and the chimney is this massive column in the middle of the house all the way through the roof. So for the price I couldn't turn it down. And using regular old insulation was not even an option in my. Just not worth it.

herdbull said:
I should have mentioned it was either try and get a block off plate in there or use this stuff. I didn't feel a need to insulate the whole liner. I have 16' ceilings with no upstairs and the chimney is this massive column in the middle of the house all the way through the roof. So for the price I couldn't turn it down. And using regular old insulation was not even an option in my. Just not worth it.

Sounds like you have the same setup as I do, I picked up some Roxul at Lowes Monday, Ill install it when I do my spring cleaning.

Am I insane? I did an entire addition on my camp (future home if I can ever get it finished) a couple years ago with nothing but Roxul. Awesome stuff - it is a bit more pricey but I don't regret using up a bit more of the budget.

Is this stuff still that hard to come by in the US?

I saw Menards stocks another brand of mineral wool insulation. Good option to have if you don't feel like waiting for Roxul at Lowes.

Status
Not open for further replies.