Roxul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davo

Apr 24, 2015
CT
Quick question. I have an large flush wood insert by Travis Industries. Can I insulate the insert by putting roxul behind it, what will fit on the sides, and on top of it? I would not pull the insert out and just place the roxul directly on it. I am hoping to insulate the fireplace to keep the heat in the house and not going out from the external chimney.

Are there any downsides to this? Can it hurt/harm the insert? Thank you!

The best way to find an answer to this question is to contact Travis Industries and ask them.

Many companies will not want you to put insulation directly on the insert. they are worried that it may cause overheating if you do. I dont know if it would really be an issue though. So like said above call travis industries

Thanks for the response . I figured I'd ask here cause they also told me not to do a block off plate and insulation slightly above (not touching) the insert .

The best way to find an answer to this question is to contact Travis Industries and ask them.
They are going to tell you not to do it. They can't have this kind of liability. People will put crazy stuff on a stove and blame Travis for overfiring .

Quick question. I have an large flush wood insert by Travis Industries. Can I insulate the insert by putting roxul behind it, what will fit on the sides, and on top of it? I would not pull the insert out and just place the roxul directly on it. I am hoping to insulate the fireplace to keep the heat in the house and not going out from the external chimney.

Are there any downsides to this? Can it hurt/harm the insert? Thank you!
I did it 2 years ago and its being ok. The insert has jacket and it's not really hot on a sides. I put roxul on a sides and behind it. I put insulation for stove liner on a top as well. There is no room for roxull in my case. Just watch the temperature and dont overfire it.
Do you have cat temperature probe installed? I dont . So, I was using IR gun at first.
Now, I just placed regular magnetic top thermometer between body and jacket behinde the grill and watching temps this way. Pita to look at the readings. Just ordered Digital thermometer with K probe that I'm going to fix on a top inside of the insert. I dont want to move it to install cat probe since it was pita to lined up liner with stove to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.