RSF-Kozy-Supreme?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AMac-1978

Aug 6, 2018
Maryland
I have been lurking for a while and an old post by BeGreen helped me out. I have 2 units I like the looks of, but I haven't seen them popping up enough to feel comfortable with. I'm looking at the RSF Focus 250, Kozy Heat Z42 (per begreen) and Supreme Galaxy. Has anyone seen issues with any of these, or anything I should be weary of? Anyone a clear "winner", and why? Also I am pretty sure I want a blower on these, right? is much heat produced w/o a blower?

A bit about the project. We are knocking out an exterior wall to put a EPA ZC in with some built-in bookcases etc. Outside air combustion is important to me. In Maryland, extreme heat output is not super important. I want to make sure the unit will last and isn't a builder grade unit I'll regret in 5-10 years.

let me know if you need more info AND I really appreciate you feedback on this

Aaron

This is subjective, but I liked the RSF's finish and quality a bit more than the Kozy. I have not had either in my house, but webby3650 has installed some Kozys and Supremes, not sure about RSFs.

This is subjective, but I liked the RSF's finish and quality a bit more than the Kozy. I have not had either in my house, but webby3650 has installed some Kozys and Supremes, not sure about RSFs.

Thanks begreen. Subjective...so am I correct in assuming that means all three are roughly similar and safe, decent fireplaces? To use the car analogy, I don't have any Yogo's on the list, they are all mid-grade or better?

We install lots of Z-42’s. I’ve installed one supreme ZC unit. I’m just concerned with how light supreme units are. They have no firebrick, Stainless panels instead. I don’t know, but I’d be concerned with the longevity. The Z-42 is a solid unit, and is a good fit for a lot of ZC replacements. I prefer it with the twin cast door option. The large single door is a bit awkward in my opinion.