RSF Opel 3 -- Available for Purchase Yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

builderbob

Jun 14, 2007
Oregon
While looking online at the RSF website at the OPEL 2 literature, we saw that the webpage has a link to owners manual for both the OPEL 2 and the OPEL 3.

We got very interested in the OPEL 3 as it seems to have a slightly larger firebox and viewing area than the 2 per the owners manual specifications.

But, after asking at an RSF dealer in a neighboring town (who called somebody), and after emailing the RSF factory and getting no response-----we wonder, is the OPEL 3 really available for sale. RSF does not include it in the online brochure or the printed dealer brochures---the only reference to it is the online link to the OPEL 3 owners manual. The dealer didn't really give us good answers except whoever he called said it would be priced "similar" to the OPEL 2.

One would think, if they have prepared an owners manual for it, it does exist.

Anyone out there know---is the RSF OPEL 3 available for purchase? Anyone know anybody at the RSF headquarters who will actually answer their email?

Thanks
builderbob

To answer my own question (in case anyone else had the same question)---yes, the RSF OPEL 3's are now available for sale.

A dealer gave me a link to a distributor who said the OPEL 3's are now shipping.

For those who like OPEL 2 but want a slightly larger viewing area, the OPEL 3 door is 27-3/4" x 20" high, compared to OPEL 2 doors which are 25" x 18-7/8" high. I do not yet know if the actual firebox is larger too, but would guess it would be based on the comparative door sizes.

builderbob

THATS THE LINK!

Removed link- now dead

For anyone interested in glass viewing area, and considering the RSF OPEL 3 newly on the market, a kindly distributor to whom I was referred by a dealer for info, took the time to go out in his warehouse and measure the glass viewing area of the door.

He said approximately 14-1/2" tall by about 22" wide. He said the actual metal door frames on the OPEL 3 were wider than the door frames on the OPEL 2. RSF indicates the total door size on the OPEL 3 is 20" high by 27-3/4" wide. So the door frame metal must be about 2-1/2" to 3" wide.

builderbob, researching woodburning ZC fireplaces and wanting a decent viewing area.

are you the guy I told to Call AES?
Must have been Don P or Bill A at AES? That took the time to check it out.
Don and Bill are great they care about the industry unlike a lot of inside sales people they will go the extra mile.

Yes, I was the guy. Yes it was AES distributors, and Bill A.

I emailed the questions, got a fast response, and I was very impressed to have a total stranger take the time to go out in his warehouse and get a measurement, when he knew I was not anyone who would ever be a direct client of his, as I am a retail prospective purchaser.

And I thank you much for that reference too, and for you taking time to give it to me.

And I love this forum. Great for finding out answers, opinions, theories, on all the things that run through a wannabee woodburner owner's mind, as research possibilities are somewhat limited in a one-shop town.

I have gotten several answers about Fireplace Extrordinair Elite at this site which is on our list.

But I am still very interested in the RSF Opel 3. Even though the glass and door area is somewhat smaller than would be our ideal, it is just big enough we may decide it's ok. I was impressed with the RSF owners manual and brochures, which straightforwardly addressed a few concerns on which both the FPX(Travis) and Napoleon NZ 6000 publications and websites were somewhat self-contradictory, or at least ambiguous. (Like burning the unit with door open and using a screen, for one. And using wax logs for another.)

That is a big plus in my book for RSF. It made a much better impression, like, perhaps RSF folks are the real pros at woodburning fireplace manufacturing.

Any more users of RSF models (Opel 2, Delta, or other) care to comment pros and cons here?

builderbob

I prefer the Kozyheat NON CAT Z42 EPA wood burning fireplace.
www.kozyheat.com Great price for clean burning unit.

The Opel is NOT EPA certified without the optional $400 Catalytic Kit
I learned this the hard way and put one in my store then was told my the air board I could not sell it because it was not EPA compliant. When I do sell it I have to put the Cat kit in it I I hear it was a pain and took a lot of work to put in.

But my opinionI would never put a BUILD in fireplace in my own home.
Reason?
Say 5 years down the road I want to upgrade or change to gas of pellet.
This would be a lot of work to Tare out a Fireplace built in.
A free standing stove you have much more to choose from.
Larger Heating Capacity
Much easier to change out or upgrade in the future.

BTW
the only difference in the Opel 2 and 3 are the door and the Brick facing kits.
The firebox has not changed as I was told but could be wrong.

Thanks for the Kozyheat link. That one was not on our radar at all.

As to builtin fireplace vs freestanding, the wife wants something that sits fairly flush to wall. She does not want a woodstove taking up space in the middle of things, plus woodstove has 360 degrees exposed hot metal to harm grandkids. ZC just has the front to keep them away from.

As to future fuel, there is no gas where we are. Wife doesn't like to cook with gas/propane, so we don't want to find a place to bury a propane tank and we sure don't want a tank above ground---all just to fuel the fireplace. Plus, wood is by far cheaper per BTU anymore than gas or propane anyway---so why fight that?

And we want a real wood fire. Gas just doesn't do it for us, nor do pellets.

Efficient heat pump will be our primary heat as well, not the wood fireplace. We like the idea of fireplace as emergency/supplemental heat. The heatpump also gives us air conditioning in the summer for free bonus.

In short---ZC woodburning fireplace is it for us-----none of the other options satisfy our particular set of wants/needs/circumstances.

The idea of future tearout and replace *is* a concern. So we want best quality zc fireplace likely to last 25 to 30 years or more. We would not be burning 24/7, but maybe more like 7/7 (seven hours every 7 days) or even 7/14.

So, the chore is to find a zc woodburning fireplace with *large enough* glass viewing area and good, longlasting quality.

Thanks for the input, and I'll research the Kozyheat somemore. Looks like they have doors with 15-1/2" x 28" viewing. that is *large enough*.

How long do they last---25--30 years?

builderbob

Kozy has been making hi heat wood fireplaces for 30 years
they are in Minnesota where it is cold.

They are built well
The z42 is close to 500# with the REAL split firebrick in the unit.
it does not use refractory panels like a lot of other units do
so for 80 cents each you can replace the split firebrick found at most masonry or rock supply house.
has a good secondary combustion so it has a real good looking fire.
My contractors like having them in the home ASAP so they have heat in winter as the build the home.

They use REAL 6" class A chimney and not the Cheep Thermo 2 wall crap a lot of other Build in use.
INCLUDING some high end like FPX.

2 door or a large one door unit option.

FREE STAND NOT STICKING INTO ROOM
you can use the same space used for a build in and make it and alcove and set the stove back into the resets area.
this photo shows one but I think this olympic is set in to small of an alcove for clearance.
http://mountain-loghome.com/gallery/album05/FIREPLACE_ALCOVE
or this
https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/image/hsstovephoto.jpg

Attachments

• z42c.jpg
    z42c.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2,129
Thanks for all the info.

The freestand set into the river rock in the first photo looked good. That would eliminate the 360 "hot, don't touch" area to keep grandkids away from. We might still have a problem though with enough room (width wise) to build alcove and also set stove into it.

So what freestanding stoves have viewing area 15 x 28 or larger? I did originally do some search of woodstoves when first started looking, and I gave up on finding any of them with the bigger glass viewing area. Maybe I just didn't look enough?

builderbob

Status
Not open for further replies.