Rumble and Thump goes the snow off PV panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Sitting up in my office getting motivated to work on a hydronics course and I hear the tell tale rumble and thump of snow sliding off my roof mounted solar panels. The are shallow and snow builds up on them but the weather is warming up so it got to the point where the snow slid. I have had this set for a few years so I am sort of used to it but the first slide of the season definitely reminds me! This was snow that built up yesterday

Now if the sun could come out so I generate something. ;)

... what is the sound of the most of December heavy cloud cover being gone?

Unfortunately its usually January winds and subzero temps when the Canadian high pressure kicks in to get rid of the clouds.

First winter with my new solar system...December has been pretty disappointing in production. Its been very cloudly and the last snow has stuck on the panels. Waiting for some sun to make it slide off is taking forever. The first snow slid off within 2 days, but the last time it snowed the sun has taken a extended vacation it seems.
I could have gone up and cleaned it off I suppose, but in the future it won't be practical nor safe to do that. So I have set a new monthly low as a standard to go by for future years its seems. On the plus side I have gotten the flat plate hot water panels plumbed and tested for leaks, so far I am getting water temps in the 110 to 120F range with them mounted vertically under the roof eves on the south side of my shop. Next up is getting the 1980's differential controller working and control the water flow equally to both groups of panels from one pump.

The panels are on the second floor roof of the house. They end about 18" back from the soffits. I can just reach the bottom two feet of the panels with roof rake. If I clean the strip of shingle roof and the lower 2' of the panels, if the sun comes out, the snow slides down off the rest of the panels somewhat faster. If I do nothing it may take few days. I have to be careful as when it does slide it would hurt if I got hit with it.

I sure don't plan on much production most Novembers and Decembers as its usually cloudy. November and early December this year was pretty good for sun but day length and lack of snow on the ground really cuts back on production even if it is sunny. Glad I have net metering.

Status
Not open for further replies.