Rumble or Vibration Englander 25 PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillM2

Dec 23, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley
I've had my Englander 25 PDVC for 5 days now and am noticing a vibration that sounds like a low rumble sound. It happens periodically and it seems to be happening at mid to high level settings. I'm using one tee after 18", then to an elbow at the exhaust. The OAK is installed according to the directions. I have the unit sitting about 2" above the floor on a solidly built platform that has Hardi Backer Board on top. I've been cleaning the unit each day. When I turn it off, the blower runs as it should, but I don't hear a rumble. When I hear it, it sort of sounds like the exhaust fan is rumbling like a bad bearing, but that's just a guess.

Someone else on this site had a similar problem with a used one. Mine is new.

Any suggestions?

Very hard to diagnose something like this.....it could be in the exhaust pipe, or a bearing in a motor, or just a harmonic during the time the auger is running. Best bet would be to call Englander and try explaining the sound.

Only clue you gave was about not hearing the rumble after hitting the Off button. The only thing that stops running when you do that is the auger. The combustion and convection blowers continue to run until the stove cools off.

Would wind have an impact? It's pretty gusty from the north, and my exhaust pipe faces due west. It faces downwards and I'm thinking it could be wind going down the exhaust and the exhaust fan getting resistance.

I'm on the west side of the river, where we're not yet getting much snow, just a lot of blowing around of about an inch or so. But more is coming our way!

BillM2 said:
Would wind have an impact? It's pretty gusty from the north, and my exhaust pipe faces due west. It faces downwards and I'm thinking it could be wind going down the exhaust and the exhaust fan getting resistance.

I'm on the west side of the river, where we're not yet getting much snow, just a lot of blowing around of about an inch or so. But more is coming our way!

Yep, the wind could be the cause. Wait until after the storm to see if it's still doing it.

BTW, I'm on the west side of the river too....right next to Stewart Airport near Newburgh.....it's snowing like crazy here!

Seems like I answer my own question. The wind is the culprit. It hits the vent cover and is vibrating the exhaust pipe. We've had gusts above 35mph out of the west. Also, I'm liking the Sommerset pellets over the Greenways. Seem to be burning hotter and longer.

I've burned the PDVC since '05. I have heard that low rumbling sound from time to time. It seems to occur when the flame/heat is high. It's never caused an issue. In my case I am very sure it's not the wind. ?????????

its an air thing , a pressure variation of some sort , ive seen it before, here's the fix , i gotta warn ya its not very "high tech"

1. fire the stove and get it hot so that it starts rumbling
2. disconnect the OAK if installed
3. take a patch of silver insulation tape ,and cover approx. 1/4 of the intake pipe, then wait and see if rumble goes away, if not , adjust the tape to cover slightly more.

somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 covered the rumble should stop and the stove should burn clean , too much covered it could burn dirty and would need to be backed off some to allow enough through to burn clean.

4. once the rumble has been cured with OAK fold the edge of the tape around the outside of the intake pipe and attach the oak back over it, if no OAK just fold the tape around the intake.

the fluctuation happens due to some kind of air varience , i think its hot air pulling cold air and diferential air flow in the exhaust blower itself. it does not harm the stove but it can be annoying. most commonly it happens in chimney type installs but can in vent kits as well. ive used the tape trick for years and it always works.

BillM2 said:
Seems like I answer my own question. The wind is the culprit. It hits the vent cover and is vibrating the exhaust pipe. We've had gusts above 35mph out of the west. Also, I'm liking the Sommerset pellets over the Greenways. Seem to be burning hotter and longer.

somerset pellets are the bomb. i wish i could find a dealer near me that sells them cheap. lowes gets 310 a ton for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.