Running Harman PB105 with Generator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boilerwhisperer

Jun 1, 2011
Central ME
I installed a Harman PB105 a few months ago and with winter quickly approaching I am wondering if it is safe to run with a generator. I just purchased a Generac XG6500 and it’s THD is supposed to be around 20%. Has anyone on here run their PB105 with a generator? If so, did you have any problems with the circuit board?

This is the subject of great debate.

Please see the following thread as it is very similar:

Any Harman Owners Using Portable Generators?

I was the OP of that thread. The overall consensus is that running a stove on a conventional generator with THD > 5% may not cause your electronics to spontaneously stop working, but it will likely shorten their life expectancy.

When I was shopping for a pellet stove, I did my research. I decided to "Cry Once" and buy the more expensive Harman XXV due to the quality, ease of maintenance, reputation, etc. In line with that philosophy, I plan on saving up for the Honda EU2000i Inverter Generator. I believe that quality doesn't cost, it pays.

boilerwhisperer said:
..... I just purchased a Generac XG6500 and it’s THD is supposed to be around 20%. .....

Wow...that sounds pretty high. Are you sure about that? I looked at the spec sheet for it on the Generac site and saw no mention of the THD.

here's opening a can of worms....
I just saw a report on generator use and electronics. Inverter generators are not all that much safer for electronics than a regular generator. The inverter generators adjust their idle according to the load being applied. therefore, this changes the frequency. A non-inverter generator runs at a constant rpm, thus creating a cleaner sine wave and more steady frequency. The problem comes when motors are starting up. When you lose power, and start your genny, if a refrigerator and freezer were running when the power went out, there will be pressure in the unit, creating a big power draw on the genny. It is best to let refrigeration units rest for at least 15 minutes before running off a genny.
I will be testing the frequency on my non-inverter genny this week, and hopefully on an inverter genny from work.
All these theories do make sense. I'd love to know the true answer to this.

mikhen said:
here's opening a can of worms....
I just saw a report on generator use and electronics. Inverter generators are not all that much safer for electronics than a regular generator. The inverter generators adjust their idle according to the load being applied. therefore, this changes the frequency. A non-inverter generator runs at a constant rpm, thus creating a cleaner sine wave and more steady frequency. The problem comes when motors are starting up. When you lose power, and start your genny, if a refrigerator and freezer were running when the power went out, there will be pressure in the unit, creating a big power draw on the genny. It is best to let refrigeration units rest for at least 15 minutes before running off a genny.
I will be testing the frequency on my non-inverter genny this week, and hopefully on an inverter genny from work.
All these theories do make sense. I'd love to know the true answer to this.

Where did you find this report? I'd like to check it out.

For what its worth. I tested my cheap China made inverter generator last week. The volts fluctuated from 122/121 molstly stable at 121. The heartz output never varied. 60.0 the whole time. This was according to the input/output readings on my UPS

Just read the article and I am not sure how much of an authority "Dan" is on the subject. The description of my generator is "pure sine wave" not modified or square. My stove also ran as if it was pure. There is a noticable difference when it is not. Found out when I bought a square wave UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.