running more then one pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it just makes sense to have two stoves. i came to this decision during a two week subzero cold snap one winter. i had to shut my only stove down to give it a serious cleaning. the exhaust blower was getting noisy. i had been running it wide open to keep the house warm. it took about 45 minutes to clean and the house dropped down to 39*. it took a while and alot of pellets to get back to 70*. if one fails i have a back up. i can run one while cleaning the other. i dont have to run one wide open during cold snaps, just run both and keep alot of pellets on hand.

I put in a avalon astoria in my living room and found in nearly impossible to move the heat tot he rest of the house much less the family room addition. so I decided to get a second stove there to help "even" out the heat. so I got the englander and I usually run that on 1 or 2 heat setting mostly at night the avalon is on thermostat till i get home and then back on when i got to bed. in this manner i got hrough to bags every 2 days in the astoria and on bag every 2 or 3 days in englander. I am considering getting a pellet furnace to eliminate some of the colder spots in my house, o i forgot to mention we are remodeling the second floor so we have yet to heat that should be an adventure heating up there.

I have always gotten conflicting info on the factory seetings of my englander can anyone explain it.

We finally got our second stove hooked up and running (P2000) it is quite different than the P61a in operation, I am thankfull for the forum here as the P2000 glass was covered with soot within 2 hrs and after reading many posts on the P2000 I see its a trait of that model and also read about checking the wash on the glass, found the metal on bottom was touching the glass so I loosened the metal and inserted a small piece metal banding which is quite thin, 2 hrs and still clean glass! I know its not long but thats a improvement already. I can deal with cleaning glass each day but i would like it to stay clean for a while.

Been using two stoves for over 15 years now. This year thus far have only burned a total of 14 bags since temps are so mild. I only like to run the stoves when temps are in the 30's or lower. Many days thus far its een in the 50's.

I just picked up a second stove, used, with the intention of putting it in the 24x24' cathedral familyroom. I'm hoping this will balance out the heat in the house from the first stove which was installed in the livingroom. The first stove does an excellent job of heating one side of the house and the upstairs bedroom with average temps of 68-70 upstairs. That's pretty good for one little stove. Our second stove should be able to heat up the family room when the kids are home with no trouble.

I do have one question though, many of you guys say you don't see a savings when heating with two stoves, what kind of "savings" are you referring to? My stove was installed at the end of November and I have yet to hear the oil burner running or even turn on. Only time I know it turned on was when we were away for a week and had it set on tstat at 60. My last oil fillup was in Sept/Oct. and we're currently sitting on a little less then 3/4 tank full, much more then half but tiny less bit less then 3/4. Normally, that first tank would have been gone and we'd be working on a second tank by now, each tank averages $800-1000 in oil. We fill the tank 4 times a year heating a 2900 sq ft house at 68 degrees when we're home and 64 degrees at night. If we only use this one tank of oil this year, that's a 75% less oil consumption right? So if I take into consideration the cost of stove, pellets, and electricity, then my whole pellet stove setup (prices including the rehab/use of a second stove) would have paid for itself in less then two years, while keeping the house much warmer? Is that how you guys are calculating "savings"? Am I missing something or did I make it too simple? Just wondering....

Status
Not open for further replies.