1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Running out burning Green white ash

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by gzecc, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Just put in 2 green white ash splits and 5, 5+ year old oak splits in to the insert.
    The white ash was split yesterday. Seems to be burning fine. Moisture meter showed 30%.
    Must be true what is said about ash!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    But you will notice a difference when you've seasoned the white ash.

I just cut up some pieces of standing dead maple to help fire a few more days. I don't think I have enough wood to last me a full week though, which is kind of depressing to me. Oh well, I'll just have to get that much further ahead next year.
  3. btj1031

btj1031 New Member

Loc:
    NH
    I'm with you, about to run out. I saw a CL ad for green ash, thought about it, and came to the same conclusion you did - forget it and plan on not letting this happen again next year. My excuse is this is my first full year burning, so I wasn't sure exactly what I'd go through. Now I know its closer to 5 cords than 4.
  4. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    I'm a first year burner as well. I think I'm going to plan on having 7 cords on hand for next year.
  5. RAY_PA

RAY_PA Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    .[/quote]
    I'm a first year burner as well. I think I'm going to plan on having 7 cords on hand for next year.[/quote]

Exact same here!
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Now double that guys so you'll have enough for the following year too. Once you burn 2 year old stuff, you'll never go back.

gzecc, if possible, split that ash quite small as it will help. I've said it before, but I once burned green ash for one entire winter and got along fine. I did have to clean the chimney a time or two extra but we stayed warm. Also, it will probably need just a tad bit of extra draft.
  7. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    First season here too. Here's my approach after reviewing other posts. It seems to make perfect sence.

Spring 2009 - have 9 cord on hand. The plan is to burn 4 or 5 cord each burn season.
    Spring 2010 - replenish what I burned. If I only burned 4, replace 4. If I burned 5, replace 5.
    Spring 2011 - replenish what I burned.

The benefit here is once I get the cycle going, I'll be seasoning the wood 18 months by the time I use it and I'll always have enough seasoned wood on hand. This will happen in the 2010/2011 season.
  8. jeff6443

jeff6443 New Member

Loc:
    NJ South
    Hey all I m out burning pallet wood 5 year old pine (Daugther had a stack they cut down It burns hat n fast . ) I will do better next year . JM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.