Running pipes above ground

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
Hi all.

Had a thought the other day. My Tarm is going in a new boiler/woodshed, just 30 or so feet from the house. I've been struggling with the cost and complexity of getting good, well insulated pipe underground from the shed to the house. ($28/foot plus putting a hole in my basement wall and potentially introducing leaks where there are none now).

A thought occurred to me - What if the pipes were run above ground, in a small "tunnel" about 1-2 feet wide and 2-4 feet tall. Super insulated, and easily accessible as my needs change? The area behind the house is not very visible, and landscaping could disguise the low-structure. Any downside that I can't think of? Could even make this low structure look like additional wood storage (i.e. a sloped roof with a couple of face cords of wood under the roof, but in front of the insulated portion of the structure.

Just thinking out loud here....thoughts?

why not try www.insulseal.com

i have used this product on numerous jobs with great success. they will build just about any size pipe with any r-value. It's rugged, waterproofed and ready to go. slip the heat lines and wiring inside.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.