running the inserts fans system with a inverter and group 24 battery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanningjw

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2008
Plymouth, Minnesota
My wood insert does not heat good with out the fan system circulating air around the firebox and into your living space. If I lose power I would like to use my deep cycle group 24 and a inverter.

My question is, will I need a pure sine or modified sine wave inverter to run the fan motor with out problems. We burn all the time and the fan is running 24/7.

Secondly, what size inverter am I gonna need to run the fan motor on my BK princess insert? Will a 300 watt inverter be enough?

If we run into a long power outage I will run the generator into the transfer switch and this powers the house. It seems that most of the power loss situations only last a couple of hours and by the time I drag the gen out of the shed and fill with gas its almost over and we are back on main power.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_GKplugI78wg/TP_M_C3Bg6I/AAAAAAAAOW4/Q_bf93Mw6Js/s640/DSC_0055.JPG

A 300W inverter should work. Most of these motors are in the .9-1.5amp range. Check your motor rating to be sure. It doesn't need to be pure sine wave for the blower, but try to get a decently efficient inverter to minimize efficiency losses. Add a meter on the battery to the setup. You don't want to take the battery down too low.

BeGreen said:
A 300W inverter should work. Most of these motors are in the .9-1.5amp range. Check your motor rating to be sure. It doesn't need to be pure sine wave for the blower, but try to get a decently efficient inverter to minimize efficiency losses. Add a meter on the battery to the setup. You don't want to take the battery down too low.

BG, Take a look at this one, http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine_300.html Its Pure with high efficiency?

those motors are probably fine with a modified sine. Pure sign waves are nasty and you dont want that.

I was very disappointed with how long my insert ran off my 300 watt inverter and a car battery. It was dead in about an hour. Just be aware, the blower probably uses a bit less than 100 watts, but the inverter wastes a lot of power. Also your battery provides a amp hour rating, but I have never found that to be a representative amount of power that the battery can deliver. just plan accordingly so that you have enough battery power for whatever you want.

I always find that power comes on exactly as soon as I have the generator ready to start.

maverick06 said:
those motors are probably fine with a modified sine. Pure sign waves are nasty and you dont want that.

I was very disappointed with how long my insert ran off my 300 watt inverter and a car battery. It was dead in about an hour. Just be aware, the blower probably uses a bit less than 100 watts, but the inverter wastes a lot of power. Also your battery provides a amp hour rating, but I have never found that to be a representative amount of power that the battery can deliver. just plan accordingly so that you have enough battery power for whatever you want.

I always find that power comes on exactly as soon as I have the generator ready to start.

I thought the Pure sine inverter was the highest quality for electric motors. Can you explain?

maverick, did you mean modified sine wave? In this case it probably is not that important. If this is only for the fan motor, a cheaper modified sine-wave might suffice. http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/sam_450.html. Lanning, the unit is going to be about 85% efficient which is typical for this style inverter. maverick is correct in that usually you will not see many hours of run time on a regular battery. 1A @120vac = 10amps @12vdc, + 15% = 11.5 DC amps.

To calculate the run time, divide the battery capacity in half. Let's say your deep cycle is a 70AH battery. That gives you 35AH of safely usable capacity. If you are pulling 11.5DC amps, you have about 3 hrs run time. This is with a new battery at full capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.