Running up the stack temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
I've been reading that running a high stack temp once or so a day help keep the chimney clean, is this common practice?

How high are you talking?

I guess @500. My furnace stays around 250 0r below unless the combustion fan is running, then it will go up to
350-400 then house reaches temp the fan turns off and the stove cools back to 200-250. In the morning the stack temp is down @100. I'm not sure if the themomenter is in the right place.I read that some folks burn hotter on the 1st load of the morning to burn up anything in the chimmey/stack. I have to clean my stove pipe where the draft damper is once a month.

I think alot of that talk about burning hot once a day is left over from the pre EPA stoves. The new stoves burn so much cleaner and hotter, that there shouldn't be any need to burn a wide open hot fire to clean the chimney. As long as you burn dry seasoned wood, have good draft, and check your chimney once or twice a year you will be fine.

I think Todd is right.

We still do this with our non cat stove..We learned it with the pre epa stove...I guess we still do it for piece of mind and or habit.

Our wood is 2 season old and with an annual sweeping we are around a 1/2 cup of real dry stuff...

I am betting that he is talking about a non-EPA wood furnace. In that case at those low burning temps and with how often he has to clean that flue, yes, he needs to cut that sucker loose once a day to blow out the pipe. But for gosh sakes don't start doing it until right after a chimney cleaning.

The furnace is cutting back based on house temp, not efficient burning temps.

It is a non EPA Furnace and the combustion fan is tied into the house temp and because the house is very
energy efficient once the house is at temp, it stays there. This means the stack temp drops. A timer on the combustion fan would all most be better to keep the stack temp up.

Status
Not open for further replies.