Russian masonry oven

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter

These things always fascinate me. I've only seen 2 in person.

Reactions: Ssyko and MikeK
If I had a SIP house with a large open floor plan this is were I'd be, I love the looks of some of these units, I also think that we'll start see more and more of these out this way, as building tech improves, and the cost of fuel rises, this is a great alternative as long as its planned with construction of the home, it would be hard to retro fit one, especially with the footing it would require.

If we build a new house it will have a masonry heater with baking oven and cooktop. I really like his firewood carrying tool.

Also see the Masonry Heater Association of North America:

As for where I live, most every house of some age, and many new ones, has a masonry stove (cserépkályha in Hungarian). Most are covered with colorful tiles (made by hand):

I think for me, I'd have difficulty with the time element on waiting for the fire to finish up then close down the air supply to keep the heat in the block, especially in the morning before work, I would want to have some type of remote (wifi) motorized damper to close the air supply off.

A thermostatic flap would probably work pretty well for that application, just mount the bi-metallic spring inside the heated mass to close when the fire dies rather than the other way around.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I like the bed on top of the stove. I bet that helps on those -40C nights.

I noticed the same setup of bed next to the stove in a YouTube video of a man's visits through the Chernobyl affected areas of Belarus. Less emphasis on the stove, so I couldn't see if it was masonry or not.