Rust control and repainting on cast iron stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
I wanted to ask about preparation before painting or touching up rust on a cast iron stove. My Harman Accentra exterior is OK because it has been stored indoors and run on a regular basis. But so many times I see cast stoves, usually wood stoves, but pellet stoves too, that are accumulating rust at the base or insides. These are either neglected or storaged stoves that need cosmetic work before putting into service. Usually I think of just drill-wire brushing the rust and repainting with stove paint. But I dont think this is good enough for rust worse than light surface rust. Does anyone use rust inhibitor paint...Rustoluems Rust Reformer or Loctite's Rust Neutralizer on the stove before painting over rusty areas? Or does anyone go so far as to bead blast rusty areas before repainting a stove section?

You could prime the rusty area with phosphoric acid, after wire brushing the loose stuff off. Phosphoric acid converts iron oxide to iron phosphate and stops further rusting. Look for Ospho at your local hardware store and just follow the instructions on the bottle.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.