Rust in fireplace around damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tally

Nov 10, 2016
Tallahassee
Greetings! - newbie/first post. I recently purchased a townhome built in 1981. A local chimney sweep did an inspection and reported rusted out holes in the fireplace around the damper and recommended it not be used. Since I'm very illiterate on the subject I thought I'd come here and get some advice from some more knowledgeable and trustworthy folks. Attached is a pdf with pics from his report. He also said that this issue is unrepairable and the only solution is to replace the entire fireplace insert.

Attachments

• FP.pdf
    227.4 KB · Views: 317
So this is the bypass rod, on the top of a fireplace insert? If so, yes, insert is shot and needs to be replaced. When you live in a humid climate and run AC, humid air will sometimes be drawn down the chimney and will condense moisture on cool surfaces it hits...in this case, your insert. I've gotten in the habit of capping off the top of the liner after the burning season is over. Leave a note in the fire box, advising that you need to remove the cover before burning.

Zero clearance unit I presume, that insulation looks like the jacket insulation, basically if you lit a fire in there and the flame hits that insulation, there's nothing to stop it from finding a hole or gap and then burning the combustible chase that the unit sits in. Unit must be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.