Rust in the hopper of new stove? I think... pics inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
I did my yearly cleaning awhile back and all seemed OK. Last night I happen to look in the hopper and saw a bunch of rust!! The stove is only 8 months old so you can imagine how upset I am. This was my 1st year with the stove and don't know how concerned I should be. I had a few questions.

1) This is rust right?
2) Is there anything I can do to get rid of whats there now?
3) How much damage is this causing or doing? My worry is as you can see the auger seems to be getting rusted which worries me. Am I going to have to replace it soon?

I plan on calling the dealer to see if this is under warranty. Enviro has a good warranty so my fingers are crossed.

hopper.jpg

How many pellets were burned in the stove?

About 2 tons. I installed it (dealer actually installed it) on January 4th, burned 2 tons over the winter, cleaned it about a month ago and now this.

Hello

Is the stove in a damp area? What make and model is it?

Do not fret too much!
My year 2000 Quadrafire Classic Bay had a little rust in the hopper but I filled it with wood pellets and did not notice it!

It was in storage for a while and I had to chisel out the clump of pellets in the spring auger.

Anyway for a 12 year old stove it still runs like new now! See pic and click to Enlarge.

Attachments

• CB1200Hopper.jpg
    CB1200Hopper.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 201
  • CB1200&OwnersVideo.JPG
    CB1200&OwnersVideo.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 206
It is a enviro I think judging by the auger

My old Enviro EF-2i had a rusty hopper but the auger was still shinny. I think some stoves are more prone to get a little rusty. Would you say that?
Maybe different types of sheet metal and thicknesses?

No, it's not in a damp area. It's not the hopper I'm worried about so much but the auger.

It's an Enviro Milan

No, it's not in a damp area. It's not the hopper I'm worried about so much but the auger.

It's an Enviro Milan

As far as the auger goes, that is much heavier and may not rust as easily. However after 3 seasons the auger brass bushing may squeek and squeal or the flame height may be less consistent. We recommend lubricating the brass auger bushing with dry moly lube!

Actually it may be good use this lube once a year during the annual deep cleaning!

Such as
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CRC-Dry-Moly-Lube-2F138

As far as the auger goes, that is much heavier and may not rust as easily. However after 3 seasons the auger brass bushing may squeek and squeal or the flame height may be less consistent. We recommend lubricating the brass auger bushing with dry moly lube!

Actually it may be good use this lube once a year during the annual deep cleaning!

Such as
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CRC-Dry-Moly-Lube-2F138

Sorry... Whats an "auger bushing?"

I understand your frustration as I had the same thing happen in my firebox during the first summer., Now I seal up EVERYTHING and put damp Rid inside the firebox.

Looks like light surface rust. Hit it with steel wool if you want to and put some Damp Rid in there, close the lid and forget about it.

You can see the auger bushing in your picture. Its the brass bushing that the auger shaft rotates in at the base of the housing. Lube it with the dry moly or dry graphite.(you dont need to remove the auger, it will work itself in next season) I use a very light coating of dry graphite on the walls of the hopper as well, that way no pellets get hung up.

Reactions: DexterDay
Thanks guys, I'll try all this. I appreciate the help. I'm going to try the steel wool.. If possible I would rather get rid of the rust all together.

Thanks guys, I'll try all this. I appreciate the help. I'm going to try the steel wool.. If possible I would rather get rid of the rust all together.

Good luck !!
Make sure and vac out all the dust after steel wool, then lube the bushing

I understand your frustration as I had the same thing happen in my firebox during the first summer., Now I seal up EVERYTHING and put damp Rid inside the firebox.

Looks like light surface rust. Hit it with steel wool if you want to and put some Damp Rid in there, close the lid and forget about it.

You can see the auger bushing in your picture. Its the brass bushing that the auger shaft rotates in at the base of the housing. Lube it with the dry moly or dry graphite.(you dont need to remove the auger, it will work itself in next season) I use a very light coating of dry graphite on the walls of the hopper as well, that way no pellets get hung up.

Yep.... Steel wool, then vac out dust, then a coat of Furniture Polish, then Damp rid. I clean and coat my Hoppers at least once a year with pledge.. I also put a Damp rid in the Hopper as well as the Firebox (ash pan actually).

No worries on the Auger, but I have never seen Hopper walls rust, nor that fast? I thought they used a Stainless?

Sorry... Whats an "auger bushing?"

That shinny copper round collar with a flange on top that holds the auger in the hopper and allows it to turn.

See the yellow arrows in your picture below. Click to enlarge

Attachments

• hopperAugerBushingYA.jpg
    hopperAugerBushingYA.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 178
Yep.... Steel wool, then vac out dust, then a coat of Furniture Polish, then Damp rid. I clean and coat my Hoppers at least once a year with pledge.. I also put a Damp rid in the Hopper as well as the Firebox (ash pan actually).

No worries on the Auger, but I have never seen Hopper walls rust, nor that fast? I thought they used a Stainless?

How is putting Damp Rid in the hopper possible... I was going to do this but since the hopper is at an angle the damp Rid wont sit even, it's at a slant. So I didn't put one in the hopper just the ash pan.

Lay in the hopper until its sits flat against all angles. Just the bottom corners will be touching the sidewall. Not the entire bottom of Canister.

Lay in the hopper until its sits flat against all angles. Just the bottom corners will be touching the sidewall. Not the entire bottom of Canister.

Alright, I'll give it a shot again. I think I tried that but , since it's an insert, when I slide it back in the canister doesn't sit and it tips.

Alright, I'll give it a shot again. I think I tried that but , since it's an insert, when I slide it back in the canister doesn't sit and it tips.

Slightly wedge a block of wood in there and use it like a shelf. Might have better luck that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.