Rust -- is this a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffee

Nov 1, 2007
Western Ma
Hello again fine woodburners,
Today I returned from a 4 day outing and discovered rust on my Jotul 118 cb in the crease where the square piece that houses the stove pipe opening, and adjacent to that also. I couldn't see any inside near this area (I shined a flashlight above the baffle with the door open), but here it is, and I don't think it's related to my other 'leak' problem coming from the cathedral support box (which I will try to get a picture of tomorrow). I hope this attachment works. My dealer said that they could clean it up and paint it when they change my stovepipe (they used a few smaller pipes, as they were out of the correct size when they installed) and that it wasn't anything to worry about. I don't mind the way it looks, but don't want it to spread or be a sign of a problem.

Thanks again for any advice, and you all have been very helpful with all of my newbie queries; I wish I could give back, and intend to when I gather the knowledge and experience!

Attachments

• DSCN0133.JPG
    DSCN0133.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 311
Yes that is a problem. NO WAY should you see rust on a new install. "that it wasn’t anything to worry about." Wrong!! Rust is detection of metal and will eat up the Jotul 118 cb in time. Find the problem and get them to fix it, then have them paint the rust. This should all be a covered repair. ‘leak’ problem coming from the cathedral support box?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12861/

You need your towns building inspector to come out and see what else is really wrong!! Then the sweep or the Jotul dealer out to see WHY it leaks and then they fix it!!? Sounds like some one slammed in your install ! Not good.!!

I've pulled units out of the box across a nice array of brands and seen surface rust like that. Maybe there is a slight problem, but your response is slightly alarmist don't you think Driftwood? Maybe we could hear the entire story and see what the dealer has determined the cause and fix is prior to calling out the troops? Just a thought.

Shane said:
I've pulled units out of the box across a nice array of brands and seen surface rust like that. Maybe there is a slight problem, but your response is slightly alarmist don't you think Driftwood? Maybe we could hear the entire story and see what the dealer has determined the cause and fix is prior to calling out the troops? Just a thought.

This should not happen, one thing is leading to another and the stove rust is the symptom not the problem.. The best way to avoid problems is to not let them happen. Some body let this problem happen. He did not see it them and could miss it now.

Please read these>>>>

Cold air coming in from new chimney instal...jeffee

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11564/

Cathedral support box ‘leaking’ jeffee

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12861/

Thank you very much for your words of concern. I would highly appreciate your guidance!! I'm not understanding how you think that these 3 problems could be related, but I'm open to the possibility!

1) The cold coming in from the chimney penetration. This has been fixed; I talked the the building inspector about a month ago, when he passed the install. I had mineral wool put in the roof and the 'chase' area, and then the box (the chase) was made.

2) On Monday, just before I was to leave for a 4 day family get together, as I fired up the stove (from cold, it had been about 15 hours since the last fire had died down, the weather had been mild, and the a windy rain storm blew in followed by colder temps), or rather after an hour or two when it got up to 450 or 500 surface temp, water started to drip from a corner of the cathedral box, onto the hot stove. It fell to the far left corner of the stove (opposite the rust I asked about in this thread). I rigged up something to catch it after a minute or two, and all in all a quarter to half cup 'leaked' and then it slowed down and finally stopped after maybe an hour. As that was Christmas eve day, it wasn't until yesterday that the dealer sent their installer, who, according to my phone conversation, didn't find anything, but applied some more silicone; They have made it clear that they will 'make it right'. I will try to post a picture tomorrow. I'm hoping it was a freak thing, as the weather has been really weird, with lots of snow and some ice, and then some melting, as many of you know. I should add that it gets quite windy here sometimes.

3) The current rust thing.

Again, any guidance as to how to proceed would be welcome, very much appreciated, and frankly, I'd be grateful. In the meantime, the stove works very nicely, and I have a small house, and it gets very cold, and I don't have very much money, as much of the cost of this has been generously gifted to me from my family. Thanks again --

Jeff

As I see this water is entering you home draining down the vent pipe and onto your stove.

The water could be coming from the same place the cold air is the roof flashing or the storm collar down the out side of the pipe into the support box and out onto your stove as it drains down the in side of pipe onto your stove. Follow the water streaks up and you may see the problem.

Rain water could be forced past the cap into the vent pipe in a number of places; at the cap / pipe joint or just into the cap through a hole or forced in by wind into the pipe opening. This would drain down inside the pipe into the support (the leak) and out the side at the bottom as it drains onto the stove with some comming out at the top joint (the rust ). It may not really show up as a problem until the summer thunderstorms hit. I would not let my guard down until after a few HEAVY rains. If you see water just follow it up and seal the leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.