Rust on new stone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MrDubya

Dec 29, 2021
Nashville
Is this rust or some form of discoloration from heat? This stove was installed new about a month ago.

Rust on new stone? Rust on new stone?

Looks like fine brown ash build up

I'm not seeing anything unusual. What stove is this and what/where is the second picture showing?

I've have some of the same brown stuff on our stove for the second year. I guess now I'll see if it wipes off.

Looks like some areas that didn't get painted. As steel heats up, oxidation is accelerated. It's not uncommon to see this inside the firebox, but less so on the exterior.

I agree. That looks like poor prep prior to paint, or poor paint coverage at the welds.

Not 100% sure on the stuff on the surface inside the door as that could be the common light brown coating or maybe the paint giving way due to being inside the firebox at high temps.

Thx guys. I’m gonna call the company that installed it tomorrow and let them take a look. It’s a month old so if it’s a factory defect they can either fix it or replace the unit.

Thx guys. I’m gonna call the company that installed it tomorrow and let them take a look. It’s a month old so if it’s a factory defect they can either fix it or replace the unit.
did you ever find something out? which ventis insert do you have and are you happy with it? I'm trying to do research and the ventis HEI 240 and HEI350 have caught my eye but I can't find any reviews of them anywhere.

did you ever find something out? which ventis insert do you have and are you happy with it? I'm trying to do research and the ventis HEI 240 and HEI350 have caught my eye but I can't find any reviews of them anywhere.
Yes I did. The installer contacted both the distributor and manufacturer. Both gave the same guidance. Apparently the welds are a common areas to get some rust “dust” due to temperature fluctuations and that simply brushing it off and apply some high temp paint if needed is fine. It’s not a defect and even if it was the warrant would cover it. But long story short, it’s apparently not an issue. I’ll going to clean up the areas and see how it goes. I brushed the front above door off and seems fine so far.

Reactions: clancey
Why take up your time with that anyway there are more serious things that might be out there to attend to--just thinking here...old mrs clancey