Rust on stove pipe already?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I finally got around to dusting off the woodstove to get it ready for the season. As I was sponging off the cobwebs, I noticed some copper color around the base of my single wall pipe. Some of it sponged off, but it is still a bit discolored. This stove was just installed last year and the pipe was new. Could this stuff already be rusting, or can I expect some discoloration from season to season? I was under the impression that this is good quality pipe, certainly paid enough for it.

steel will rust in the presence of humidity. You can repaint it. If you overfired the stove once or twice it can turn the pipe a funny color. If you want it to look perfect, then you can change over to double wall pipe. the exterior will always look the same.

Humidity we got plenty of. That would certainly make sense. Nothing a little high heat spray paint can't fix.

rudy ever get tha popular tree cut up. Just steel wool the rust off and hight temp paint it. Not a big deal if you give it another coat

Status
Not open for further replies.