Rusty dustpan-repairable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GailM

Jan 1, 2023
Wakefield
I noticed wet rust on the flag beneath my log burner. On further inspection, the door in front of the dustpan is rusty, as is the dustpan. In fact I don't think the pan would move if I tried. It's rusted to the part it fits into. Whether there is rust elsewhere I don't know. I'm just going by what I can see. Is this something which can be repaired? The company I bought it from is no longer in business. This also applies to Euroheat. Many thanks.

A repair depends on how far gone this is. It sounds like moisture, possibly rain, has made its way down the flue system and into the stove. A big concern is whether there is rust and rot elsewhere that would make the stove unsafe to operate. The whole system, stove and flue, should be inspected for safety and operational feasibility.

A repair depends on how far gone this is. It sounds like moisture, possibly rain, has made its way down the flue system and into the stove. A big concern is whether there is rust and rot elsewhere that would make the stove unsafe to operate. The whole system, stove and flue, should be inspected for safety and operational feasibility.
Thank you very much for your reply. There has been a lot of rain, so I thought it was likely to have caused the problem. I haven't used the stove for a long time, but was considering using it again due to energy prices. It's probably around four years since it was last used. I have an African Grey Parrot in the same room and she was affected by it therefore it hasn't been lit since. From what I can gather it gave fumes off because it hadn't been in use for a long time. I was advised to use it on high for six hours and this would then correct it. I wasn't willing to take the risk with my parrot, and moving her to another room would have been difficult. However she is now in my bedroom, so I was prepared to try it and see how I went on. Then I saw the rust. I'm worried about how to find the right person to inspect it. My first port of call would have been the retailer who I assume would have recommended someone, or sent someone from their company.

It sounds like your concerns are warranted. The fumes might be due to rusting out in other locations in the stove. It needs to be properly checked. Is there a certified chimney sweeper guild in the UK? If yes, they may be able to provide recommendations for someone to come and inspect the stove and flue system.

If there is no rain cap on the chimney outlet there should be one.

It sounds like your concerns are warranted. The fumes might be due to rusting out in other locations in the stove. It needs to be properly checked. Is there a certified chimney sweeper guild in the UK? If yes, they may be able to provide recommendations for someone to come and inspect the stove and flue system.

If there is no rain cap on the chimney outlet there should be one.
I remember the chimney being swept three years ago. I don't think there was any rust at that time, although there could have been a small amount somewhere that was unseen. I will check re a chimney sweep guild. Thank you. There is a rain cap on the chimney.