rusty pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Did a good cleaning on all my pipe a couple of months ago. Took all the pipe down and brushed it real good. The simgle wall where i touched it and the black come off on my hands is rusting now. Any ideas short of taking it back down an painting it.

What gauge pipe is it and how old? If newer pipe and just a small area, I'd just sand and paint with high temp paint.

If it's just surface rust I'd ignore it. If it starts to eat into the pipe it'd probably replace it. Quality pipe doesn't cost much.

Matt

it is 24 gauge pipe just surface rust. Pipe is one season old. Where the black paint turned to a powder residue and i handled it when i took the whole flue down to clean it the powder came off on my hands and its rusting there. No big deal. wd$) on a paper towel would be sufficent just really dont want that smell the first couple of burns this fall>

no need to poke a hole just light surface rust. Just wondering if there was a product to rub on it maybe

No need to strip,paint turned to a powder that just wipes right off

oilstinks said:
No need to strip,paint turned to a powder that just wipes right off
ok, but,,,, the paint that didn't come off is now too weak to spray on top of. it'll flake off really quik if you dont remove unstable paint

I shouldnt have to worry about it rusting once i fire up though right? Would a light oil be ok till i fire up?

oilstinks said:
I shouldnt have to worry about it rusting once i fire up though right? Would a light oil be ok till i fire up?

oil will need to be Completely removed before you paint it. also, oil will bake off some noxious fumes 1st firing...

Status
Not open for further replies.