Ryobi splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, yet another update:

I am now on my 3rd 5.5 ton log splitter from Northern tool and it does not work!. I did split a few pieces of soft pine which it seemed to split easily, then the machine just stopped working!.

This has been going on now for several months...(i.e damaged splitters, waiting for shipping, more damaged splitters, waiting again, more damaged splitters etc!.

I have decided to return this 3rd splitter and just go another route as Northern Tool just does not seem to be able to send me this splitter without being damaged.

I assumed that the damage was in transit (UPS), however, the last splitter arrived via a separate trucking Company and it too was smashed!.

I'm sorry Northern Tool but that's strike three!, your out!.

Now to look for a good log splitter once again.....

You have lots of patience, I'd a been down at Home Depot picking up a Ryobi after the first damaged one.

Well after 6 cords the ryobi quit. The ram would'nt return without tapping on the control lever after every split, so I called ryobi and found there's a repair center in Boulder. I guess the two year warranty is going to come in handy.

Interesting. Anyone know what makes the ram return? What would make the ram fail to return?

I have the Northern 5 ton splitter. I bought it at the Northern retail store on my way home from a trip, so no shipping problems here. It works well but you do have to whittle at big rounds with it. I keep a maul next to it and if I get a tough log, I whack it a few times and then it splits fine. The ram return is handled by a spring and yes I have problems with mine returning. It returns every time but not all the way. I'm splitting 16" lengths so it's not a problem. The jam nuts on the two sides rods may have loosened up on you and then something gets cock eyed and it won't return right. Make sure they aren't binding and tighten them down again. I'm thinking of puting a bungee cord on my to help it return all the way. It really doesn't take much force by hand to get it to return but it can be a pain if you have to do it alot.

On the ryobi it seems like its a problem with the control valve sticking, everything is straight, no binding, just tap on the end at the control valve and it retracts.

@ 35 hours on my Ryobi and I had the same problem. Check your pushdown handle(rear). I was storing mine verticaly instead of horizontally and over time the handle just bent enough where it would not allow that button to retract .. Took 2-5 minutes for the piston to retract. Once handle straightened, ran another 5 hours and no problems. Did split 20" seasoned red oak but log length was no longer then 12". I do use a pry bar at times as well as 4"X6"X8" "helper wood" to help not maximize the stroke with the shorter logs.

Got the ryobi back today, it was a torn o-ring on the control valve, no charge and it works great. I'm still lusting after MSG's 28 ton speeco though.

I just bought a 5 ton electric splitter from Lowe's. The brand name on it is Task Force. I split some 10 inch birch with it with no problems. I tried a few bigger pieces with it, no good , but I was trying to split them down the middle. Tommorow I'll try off center.

Just like any tool one has to learn its capacities and work with in them. If you are going to do multi slplits, than why not make the easiest one first?

Another hint Spray Pam on the splitting wedge or any other lubricant. It dose make a difference. One has to work the tools to achieve the greatest sucess if you don't need to do a center split first then reduce the area around the permineter first

pistonslap,
can you start a new thread for your Task Force splitter after you use it a bit and give your impressions? i think a lot of people will want to at least consider that model so starting its own thread will probably be easier to find than burying it 3 pages down a Ryobi thread. pictures (or even videos) are always appreciated as well especially considering there are none currently on the web.

Who makes "Task Force"? Is it a name brand?

fire_N_ice said:
Who makes "Task Force"? Is it a name brand?

i 'think' its Lowes generic brand for stuff but i could be wrong. they carry lots of other tools and stuff with the same brand name.

Gonna have to pull up this thread to give a thumbs up to the $300 Ryobi splitter. Buddy took pity on my rotator cuff surgery and let me borrow his since I can't swing the maul. Went through everything but the biggest maple and oak, and it went through that once I adjusted and didn't try to split it down the middle. Well worth the 300 bucks.

rdrcr56 said:
Well after 6 cords the ryobi quit. The ram would'nt return without tapping on the control lever after every split, so I called ryobi and found there's a repair center in Boulder. I guess the two year warranty is going to come in handy.

i lent my splitter to a buddy and got the call.. " any idea why the ram wont return"... i was just over the 90 day home depot return policy (purchased may 21st) anyway after getting shot down by the return clerk and the assistant mgr for a replacement (they wanted to send it out for repairs) i spoke with the store mgr. explained that i've ony used it a few time and they let me get a new one

hope this one lasts a little longer

Status
Not open for further replies.