Ryobi wood splitter leaking fluid/can it take it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Used the Ryobi to splitt 4.5 cords of sweetgum worked well. Put it away for a few days took it out again. Starting leaking fuild before splitting one log. I took it back to Home depot it was under the 30 days and got a new one. Is it normal to have to add the fluid? or did the seal go. Is the Ryobi made tough enough to handle
a lot of use? It made processing the wood a lot easier. Hope this one holds up. I have another big pile to splitt.

Did you determine precisely where and why it was leaking? My first thought is about the bleed screw which can leak fluid if you tilt the unit with this screw open.

I don't think it was the bleed screw., but it could been. I thought it was around the piston,but the fluid could have run down there.

the bleed screw is right next to the piston. I sometimes forget to close my bleed screw, but I lift it from that end so I haven't leaked any yet.

I'm still ecstatic about mine. I dropped, bucked and split a hickory tree today and listened to a football game from my garage TV.

probably an O ring rubber gasket

Hydralyic fluid is cheap (sorry for misspelling)get it any auto parts store for less than $3 /quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.