S.S. Flue in Masonry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Feb 25, 2007
I have noticed quite a few S.S. Flues sticking out of brick chimneys on new homes.
To me that would be the best of both worlds, performance of S.S. with masonry wrapped around it for extra saftey.
Questions:

1) Not even considering flex, what would be the best smoth S.S. flue to build in a masonry chimney.
2) Can S.S. "pipe" be had in long lengths ? as in 10-12' ?
3) Could a single long length be lowered in from the top of a STRAIGHT masonry chase (chimney) ?

Thanks,
Nick

yes to questions 2 and 3. you can buy ss flex liner all the way up to 30-35' check out chimneylinerdepot.com.

ss liners can be intalled from the top of the chimney or through the bottom, whatever is easier (mostly lowered in from top). you have to consider any dampers, any jogs in the chase, etc...

are you going to use a freestander or insert? what brand, model, deminsions???

This is new construction.
It is a "2nd" flue" for future basement wood stove or boiler, it will be built into the foundation of a masonry heater that is going on the floor above.
The masonry heater will have flue tile (no fear of chimney fires), but I am not sure I want to use flue tile for a wood stove.
I do not (will not) use flex.
This would be a straight masonry chase, from the basement through the 1st floor and out the roof.
So my question again is:
Is there any S.S. (not flex) flue that comes in length to be built into a masonry chase?
or does anyone have any suggestions on the 2nd flue ?

Thanks,

Nick

Lots of them. Just do a google search for rigid chimney liners. But it makes no sense in new construction. Get the thing done with a "poured in place" or "cast in place" refractory liner.

The cast in place scares me a little, because I could not replace it in the future.
Like I said this will be new construction, a Masonry heater on the main level, but I want a flue for the basement too.
I "beleive" the masonry heater will transition to a S.S. chimney at about 6' high in the living room (from a brick chimney)
Not sure how to handle the 2nd flue.

Nick

Simpson duraliner is rigid and insulation is built in to the pipe. SS on inside, galvalume one outside, insulation between.

I've not used it, but it looks like a slick system and easy connections. I'm going to try my chimney without a liner first, but if that doesn't work out, duraliner is what i'm going with.

http://www.duravent.com/?page=4a.php

I am installing Duraliner in one of mine this weekend. I already had it sort-of hooked up - took it apart and am going to finish it this weekend. I pretty easy system to pop together for sure.

Nick said:
The cast in place scares me a little, because I could not replace it in the future.
Like I said this will be new construction, a Masonry heater on the main level, but I want a flue for the basement too.
I "beleive" the masonry heater will transition to a S.S. chimney at about 6' high in the living room (from a brick chimney)
Not sure how to handle the 2nd flue.

Nick

If done properly...you will either sell the house first or die before the cast in place should need to be replaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.