Sad day, started the furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with two points in this thread...
1. Running the boiler to supplement is probably a good idea.
2. Taking a few steps to improve insulation is a low cost solution.

Of course getting a larger unit or secondary unit would be a great solution but at a fairly high cost. I burn Envi's mixed in with my cordwood and seem to get better performance from my Montpelier.

Reactions: Tracks74
My furnace will kick on early in the morning during these really cold nights. My encore does a great job heating the house, just when'd it hits teens and single digits at night the coaling stage can not keep the house above 70. At first this bothered me some but it is good to get some heat circulating in the basement. It's rather cold down there when the stove is running 24/7.

I am sitting here re-firing the Monte from coals that could never have kept up to the -5F temps last night.
I think Begreen was right to look at a block off plate. Small steps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sitting here re-firing the Monte from coals that could never have kept up to the -5F temps last night.
I think Begreen was right to look at a block off plate. Small steps :)

Insulated block off plates work well to improve heat output, especially with exterior wall fireplaces. If there is room consider adding some insulation board behind the insert too. An inch of micore or roxul board will help.

There is room. Any clearance concerns on the micore or roxul boards. I assume no....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There's no shame in having your central heat kick in, just think about how much less fuel you're burning than your neighbors. There are times when my wood stove just won't keep up, this past week was one. If let the temp in the house drops too low, everything in the house gets cold to, furniture, floors etc. A few short hits from the furnace gives the wood stove the boost it needs to help keep up. It pains me too, but a second stove would have a long ROI.

I've considered two stoves since I have an upstairs fireplace not being used but using 150 gallons or so of oil to heat when it's frigid isn't that much. It would take quite a while for the second stove to pay for itself in addition to needing to cut more wood and fiddle with 2 stoves. If I did it, it would be a blaze king for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.